Sepak Takraw inspires lighter moments in Goa assemblyFebruary 4th, 2011 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 4 (IANS) Sepak Takraw, an exciting sport of Malay origin that is an athletic mix between football and volleyball, inspired some hilarious moments in the Goa legislative assembly Friday. Opposition and ruling benches together spilled into peals of laughter after the sports minister Manohar Azgaonkar during Question Hour, struggled pronouncing ‘S.E.P.A.K T.E.K.R.A.W’, a word which is etymologically southeast Asian in origin.
Azgaonkar was responding to a question from an opposition legislator Francis D’Souza on the preparedness of the state government vis-a-vis the National Games which were scheduled in Ranchi from March 12.
“The National Games are (now) expected to be held in Goa in 2014,” Azgaonkar told the House, even as the opposition claimed that the government was slack in creating infrastructure for the event.
Azgaonkar also said, that one of the 12 centres being developed for hosting the National Games, the at Quepem sub district (in South Goa), where the sepak takraw event would be hosted and it was nearing completion. The House rocked with laughter, the moment the minister said ’sepak tekraw’ with considerable difficulty.
Also called as kick-volleyball, the game of sepak takraw has opposing teams on either sides of the net, using not their hands, but only their feet, knee, chest and head to toss, lob or smash a ball made of the rattan palm into the opponent’s court.
It is a popular sport in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines.
- Nagaland expresses confidence of winning medal in National Sepak Takraw Tournament - Jan 02, 2010
- Goa minister apologises for unparliamentary language - Mar 21, 2011
- Goa's former nudist beach to have 2014 Games Village - Mar 28, 2011
- Manipur sweeps Sepak Takraw event in National Games - Feb 18, 2011
- Imphal hosts 19th National Sepak-Takraw Championship - Nov 07, 2008
- Goa sets up National Games Secretariat - May 27, 2010
- Nagaland preparing for National Sepak Takeaw championship - Dec 26, 2009
- Goa to pass Lokayukta law this week: Kamat - Oct 03, 2011
- Citing CWG, Goan farmers oppose National Games - Sep 30, 2010
- Manipur remain at top with 14 wushu gold (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Churchill Brothers' ground lease to be cancelled - Aug 07, 2012
- Goa mining scam: Ruling NCP demands thorough probe - Sep 24, 2011
- Parrikar's Lokayukta promise caught in red tape - Apr 05, 2012
- MGP minister quits Goa coalition government - Feb 02, 2012
- Goa minister flouted rules in daughter's appointment: BJP - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: benches, goa assembly, hilarious moments, indonesia malaysia, laughter, legislative assembly, legislator, malay origin, manohar, national games, panaji, peals, popular sport, preparedness, ranchi, rattan palm, sepak takraw, south goa, souza, state government