Senior cop, four others arrested for rape and torture of Libyan womanMarch 28th, 2011 - 11:46 am ICT by ANI
Tripoli (Libya), Mar. 28 (ANI): A senior police officer and four other men have been arrested for viciously raping and torturing a Libyan woman whose shocking claim of abuse made international headlines last week.
Libya’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalid Kaim told Sky News that the men had been detained as part of the investigation into allegations made by Eman al-Obeidi.
He said her claims were being taken very seriously by the Gaddafi regime.
Al-Obeidi made the chilling claim Saturday after bursting into a hotel full of foreign reporters in Tripoli and fighting with security to tell her story.
Al-Obeidi said she had been raped and beaten by 15 men who she said urinated and defecated on her over the course of two horrifying days of abuse.
She claimed that she was a native of the rebel-held stronghold of Benghazi and was detained by Gaddafi militiamen on the outskirts of Tripoli after they saw where she was from while checking her identification.
She showed reporters bruises and cuts on her legs and face.
This prompted hotel staff to brandish guns and knives at al-Obeidi and reporters listening to her story. Gaddafi’s goons ultimately threw her into a car and whisked her away.
A government spokesman said yesterday that al-Obeidi was a “mentally ill” prostitute, and had been released to her sister in Tripoli. (ANI)
- Libya frees woman allegedly raped by militia after branding her a 'prostitute' - Mar 28, 2011
- Libyan gang rape victim reveals details of torture by pro-Gaddafi men - Apr 13, 2011
- Alleged rape victim still held by Gaddafi: Family - Mar 29, 2011
- Foreign journalists targeted by Gaddafi's men after gang-rape claim by Libyan woman - Mar 27, 2011
- Libya rape claim woman now facing criminal charges - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Fuelled by Viagra' Gaddafi forces using rape as weapon against rebel children, women - Apr 26, 2011
- Reporter recalls how she fought Gaddafi's goons to try to rescue raped woman - Apr 03, 2011
- Libya welcomes Russian efforts in peace talks - Jul 21, 2011
- Gaddafi regime committed to a ceasefire against rebels: Libya's Deputy FM - Mar 19, 2011
- Libyan rebels doubt Gaddafi's son is dead - May 01, 2011
- Gaddafi sends envoy to Athens to deliver 'personal message' - Apr 04, 2011
- Alleged Libyan rape victim says she was freed after medical test proved her story - Apr 05, 2011
- Libyan rebels shoot down fighter jet as Gaddafi forces 'break ceasefire and enter Benghazi' - Mar 19, 2011
- Libyan army may allow tribes to fight rebels in Misrata - Apr 23, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: benghazi, bruises, eman, foreign minister, gaddafi regime, goons, government spokesman, hotel staff, international headlines, investigation into allegations, kaim, khalid, knives, militiamen, outskirts, police officer, prostitute, rape and torture, sky news, tripoli libya