Selectors overhaul ODI squad, Kohli gets maiden call-up (Lead)August 7th, 2008 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) Young Delhi talent Virat Kohli got his maiden call-up for the national team while Mahendra Singh Dhoni returned after a break to lead the side which went through an ovehaul for the five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka here Thursday. The national selectors picked a 16-strong squad for the Sri Lanka series and another 15-member team for the Champions Trophy in Pakistan from September 11. Lanky pacer Ishant Sharma was rested for the Sri Lanka series, though he features in the Champions Trophy squad.
Robin Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Piyush Chawla, Yusuf Pathan and Manpreet Gony were dropped from the side that played in the Asia Cup in Pakistan.
India lost two back-to-back finals - in the Bangladesh tri-series against Pakistan and then against Sri Lanka in Asia Cup title-clash in June.
The quintet of selectors also recalled Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh to the team.
Tendulkar missed the tri-series in Bangladesh and the Asia Cup to recover from a groin injury. Zaheer is back after a nine-month absence, having last played for India at home during their ODIs against Pakistan in November. Harbhajan returns after serving a ban during the Indian Premier League (IPL) for slapping S. Sreesanth.
Kohli, who led India to victory in the Under-19 World Cup earlier this year, also earned a place in the 15-member champions Trophy squad announced by the selectors. Ishant figures in the Champions Trophy, with Parthiv Patel and Munaf Patel being left out.
Dhoni returns to take charge of the team after pulling out of the ongoing Test series due to fatigue.
The selectors also decided against including Sreesanth who is out since the IPL where he had a side strain.
“He has to prove himself in domestic cricket,” BCCI secretary Niranjan shah said.
Kohli made his debut for Delhi in the 2006-07 season and led India to the under-19 World cup victory in Malaysia earlier this year.
Kohli scored 235 runs at 42.16 average in the tournament and then joined the Bangalore Royal Challengers for the IPL.
The Indian squad for the Sri Lanka series: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh (vice captain), Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, R.P. Singh, Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Pragyan Ojha, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Munaf Patel, Virat Kohli, Parthiv Patel.
Indian squad for the Champions Trophy: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, R.P. Singh, Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Pragyan Ojha, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Virat Kohli and Ishant Sharma.
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in ODI fold, Irfan retained (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in India's ODI squad since World Cup - Jan 15, 2012
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- Dravid recalled to ODI squad after two years - Aug 06, 2011
- Gambhir to lead in T20, ODIs in absence of Dhoni (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- Srikanth, selectors in Chennai to select India's World Cup 2011 team - Jan 17, 2011
- Rohit out, Chawla in: No other surprises in World Cup squad (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- World Cup probables announced - Dec 18, 2010
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Sehwag rested, Sachin retained in India's squad for Asia Cup - Feb 29, 2012
- Indian cricket team leaves for West Indies - Jun 01, 2011
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Selectors announce 15-member India squad for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- Gambhir named captain for West Indies ODI series - May 13, 2011
Tags: asia cup, champions trophy, dinesh karthik, domestic cricket, gony, groin injury, harbhajan singh, kohli, mahendra singh dhoni, manpreet, munaf patel, national selectors, odi squad, pakistan india, parthiv patel, piyush chawla, s sreesanth, title clash, world cup victory, yusuf pathan