Sehwag, Zaheer likely to miss India’s T20 openerJune 5th, 2009 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Nottingham, June 5 (IANS) India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni indicated Friday that his star performers Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan are almost certain to miss the opening game against Bangladesh in the World Twenty20 here Saturday.
Opening batsman Sehwag and pace spearhead Zaheer are suffering from shoulder injuries. Both players missed the warm-up matches against New Zealand and Pakistan.
“I am not sure about Viru (Sehwag) and even though Zaheer has started bowling, it may be too early to risk him,” said Dhoni. “They are important players for us, but we are trying to adjust without them.”
Zaheer picked up the injury while playing for Mumbai Indians in the early part of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in South Africa while Sehwag was injured after landing in England.
Sehwag’s injury forced Dhoni to gamble with Rohit Sharma as Gautam Gambhir’s partner to open the innings. The 22-year-old Rohit didn’t let his captain down and scored a brilliant 80 off 53 balls to script an emphatic win over arch-rivals Pakistan in a warm-up game.
Rohit, in all probability, will open the innings with Gambhir again.
Dhoni had words of praise for Rohit.
“It’s nice to see someone filling in so well,” said Dhoni. “When Viru got injured, Rohit said he was keen to open and showed his immense talent in the game against Pakistan. I hope he continues in the same way during the tournament.”
In Zaheer’s absence, the pace attack will revolve around Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma and Rudra Pratap Singh and will be backed by spinners Harbhajan Singh and Pragyan Ojha.
“We have a good balance in the squad and this gives me a lot of confidence,” said Dhoni.
- Harbhajan, Yuvraj ruled out of England series - Aug 03, 2011
- Indian batsmen struggle in rain-affected warm-up game - Dec 19, 2011
- Gambhir to lead in T20, ODIs in absence of Dhoni (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- BCCI should rotate players to cut injuries: Akram - Aug 31, 2011
- India's best chance of a series win in Australia (Preview) - Dec 25, 2011
- India will go into third Test with No.1 Test ranking at stake - Aug 09, 2011
- Dhoni clarifies Team India was 'not ready mentally,' not fatigued for Oz friendly - Feb 15, 2011
- Gambhir likely to be ruled out from ODI series - Aug 29, 2011
- Kohli, Ojha to replace Yuvraj, Harbhajan in England (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Yuvraj centre of attraction at Vizag T20 (Preview) - Sep 07, 2012
- Weather again in Yuvraj's way (Preview) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sri Lanka to bat against India - Feb 08, 2012
- India can defend Twenty20 title: Dhoni - May 29, 2009
- We can still turn it around: Dhoni - Aug 02, 2011
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: arch rivals, bangladesh, gautam gambhir, harbhajan singh, immense talent, indians, ipl, mahendra singh dhoni, miss india, pace attack, pragyan, premier league, probability, rudra pratap singh, shoulder injuries, spearhead, star performers, t20, words of praise, zaheer khan