Sehwag to undergo shoulder surgery, skip West Indies tourMay 9th, 2011 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) India vice-captain Virender Sehwag is leaving for London Tuesday to undergo shoulder surgery and he will miss the West Indies tour and possibly the series in England as well.
Sehwag will also miss the remaining three games of Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL) now that the Delhi franchise is in no position to make the play-off. He is expected to be out of action for at least two months.
P.B. Vanchi, director of GMR Sports, owner of Delhi Daredevils, said Australian James Hopes, captain of Queensland, will captain the side in the remaining IPL matches in teh absence of Sehwag.
“We will miss Sehwag as he has been the pillar for Daredevils. But we also know how important it is for Sehwag to get the surgery done and be fit for future matches. We wish him a speedy recovery and hope he will soon be back in action for both Daredevils and India,” said Vanchi in a statement.
N. Srinivasan, secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), told IANS that Sehwag is certain to miss next month’s tour of West Indies but will definitely be trying his best to make it to England tour in July-August.
“The injury Sehwag has been carrying for quite some time got aggravated. In hindsight, it is easy to say that he should have skipped the IPL, but he ended up as the top scorer in the Twenty20 league. He will fly to London Tuesday for the surgery,” he said.
Sehwag had also undergone a shoulder surgery after missing the 2009 Twenty20 World Cup in England.
The injury recurred late last year and the Delhi batsman missed the ODI series in South Africa to undergo rehabilitation to be available for the World Cup. The sore shoulder prevented him from bowling in the World Cup which India won last month.
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sehwag to captain Delhi Daredevils in IPL-4 - Feb 11, 2011
- Indians are playing far too many competitive matches: Akram - May 26, 2011
- Sehwag out of Twenty20 World cup with shoulder injury (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Sehwag steps down as Delhi Daredevils captain, Gambhir to replace - Sep 21, 2009
- Sehwag, Ishant ruled out of ODI series - Aug 22, 2011
- Gambhir will be dropped if he is unfit, says BCCI - May 26, 2011
- Sehwag likely to miss first two Tests against England - Jul 15, 2011
- Sehwag to bolster Indian squad in England - Aug 02, 2011
- Chennai should romp home against Delhi - May 11, 2011
- Tendulkar inspired Umesh to work on a new delivery (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- KP, Jayawardene will boost Daredevils: Sehwag - Apr 09, 2012
- Gambhir likely to miss Windies tour with sore shoulder - May 26, 2011
- Gambhir, Yuvraj ruled out from West Indies series - May 27, 2011
Tags: batsman, daredevils, england tour, hindsight, india bcci, odi series, pillar, premier league, quite some time, shoulder surgery, skip west, sore shoulder, speedy recovery, srinivasan, three games, top scorer, twenty20 world cup, vice captain, virender sehwag, west indies