Sehwag smashes maiden IPL century to keep Daredevils in hunt (Lead)May 6th, 2011 - 2:16 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Skipper Virender Sehwag scored a blistering 119 off 56 balls to single-handedly carry Delhi Daredevils to a sensational four-wicket over Deccan Chargers and keep their hopes alive in the Indian Premier League here Thursday.
Chasing a formidable Chargers’ total of 175/5, Daredevils at one stage were tottering at 25/3 in the sixth over and facing elimination but Sehwag’s blitzkrieg put them on the brink of victory before James Hopes (17 not out) and Yogesh Nagar (7 not out) took the side home with six balls remaining.
It was Sehwag’s maiden IPL century and it couldn’t have come at a better time, with the vistors facing a must-win situation in their all their remaining four matches.
The win has taken Daredevils to seventh place with eight points from ten matches while Chargers, whose jinx at the home ground continued, are at eighth place with six points from 10 matches.
Sehwag, who blasted 13 fours and sixes, also surpassed Mumbai Indians skipper Sachin Tendulakar (351) to top the list of leading run-getters with 422 runs.
The Delhi Dasher waged a lone battled ever since Daredvils lost opener Aaron Flinch in the second ball of the innings. The visitors were soon staring at the barrel when Ishant Sharma dismissed lost Naman Ojha and Venugopal Rao in quick succession. While Ohja was caught behind, Rao while trying to slash a shorter delivery was brilliantly caught at point by JP Duminy.
Sehwag, however, continued unfazed. He forged a 61-run fourth wicket parternship with Travis Birt (12) and then shared a 67-run fifth wicket stand with James Hopes to keep Daredevils in hunt. He, however, was dropped twice at 54 and 71, with leg-spinner Amit Mishra the unlucky bowler on both occasions.
He brought his century from 48 balls off Bharat Chipli’s over and then immediately sent him for two successive sixes to put Delhi on the brink of victory.
Dale Steyn brought an end to Sehwag’s entertaining innings when he was edged the delivery to wicketkeeper and skipper Kumar Sangakarra, but by then the damage was done.
For Chargers, Duminy brought up a brisk 55 off 31 balls. He along with Sangakarra added 71 runs for the fourth wicket.
Nagar got both Daniel Christian and Duminy out, but overstepped. The Delhi bowlers failed to impress with only Ajit Agarkar (2-29), Aavishkar Salvi (1-26) and Hopes (1-29) delivering with the ball for the Daredevils.
- Pietersen stars in Daredevils's convincing win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Delhi Daredevils - May 06, 2011
- Daredevils score 152/6 against Rajsthan Royals - Apr 29, 2012
- Kohli stars in India's 21-run win over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangakkara and White star in Chargers' second victory - May 01, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Sehwag smashes fifth consecutive 50 in Daredevils' comprehensive win (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Daredevils beat Kings XI to march into IPL play-offs (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Daredevils crush Chargers as Warner smashes blazing ton (Roundup) - May 10, 2012
- Daredevils looking for a home win against Deccan Chargers - Apr 18, 2011
- Keen tussle on cards as Chargers looks to spoil RCB's party (Preview) - May 19, 2012
- Deccan Chargers score their third straight win (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- Daredevils trounce Royals by six wickets - May 02, 2012
- Hussey, Gurkeerat keep Kings XI in playoff hunt (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Chargers elect to bat against Daredevils - May 10, 2012