Sehwag smashes fifth consecutive 50 in Daredevils’ comprehensive win (Lead)May 2nd, 2012 - 1:53 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 1 (IANS) Virender Sehwag smashed a recording-breaking fifth consecutive fifty to help Delhi Daredevils breeze past Rajasthan Royals by six wickets in the Indian Premier League here Tuesday.
Daredevils captain Sehwag played a breathtaking knock of 73 off 38 balls, ensuring his team overcomes the 142-run target in 15.2 overs. With the scintillating knock, he also became the first batsman to score five consecutive half centuries in T20 cricket.
Kevin Pietersen made 36 in his last game for the Delhi franchise while left-arm spinner Pawan Negi (4/18) did the job with the balls in the Royals’ innings which ended at 141 for six in 20 overs.
Sehwag’s blinder brought Daredevils’ fourth win a row and they have now extended their lead at the top of the table to 16 points from 10 matches. It was a fourth straight loss for Royals’, who are sixth in the standings with eight points from 10 games.
The explosive opener once again toyed with the opposition bowling attack, bludgeoning 12 boundaries and a six. The lone maximum Sehwag hit was his trademark uppercut which also brought his fifty.
Sehwag’s opening partner Mahela Jayawardene (0) was dismissed in the first over but that joy was shortlived for the Royals.
Sehwag and Pietersen shared 96 runs for the second wicket and when the latter departed, Daredevils needed just 46 off 60 balls.
Earlier, Royals made a mess of a great start provided by Rahul Dravid (57) and Ajinkya Rahane (42).
Dravid ran out of partners as the home team was reduced to 95 for five in 13 overs after the opening pair collected 71 runs in 8.4 overs.
- Daredevils beat Rajasthan in last ball thriller (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Pollard shines in Mumbai's win over Rajasthan (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Rajasthan thrash Pune to keep playoff hopes alive (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Daredevils look to avoid complacency against Rajasthan - Apr 28, 2012
- Table toppers Daredevils and Knight Riders clash Monday (Preview) - May 06, 2012
- Daredevils trounce Royals by six wickets - May 02, 2012
- Chandila takes first hat-trick of IPL-V as Royals trounce Warrios (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Knight Riders go on top with six-wicket win over Daredevils (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Delhi Daredevils vs Rajasthan Royals - Apr 29, 2012
- Rajasthan look to consolidate their momentum - May 07, 2012
- IPL: Rahane, Cooper star in Royals' emphatic win (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Pietersen stars in Daredevils's convincing win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Sehwag stars in Daredevils' 37-run win over Mumbai Indians (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Daredevils - May 01, 2012
Tags: balls, boundaries, centuries, cricket, first batsman, jayawardene, kevin pietersen, last game, left arm, may 1, pawan, premier league, rahul dravid, royals, straight loss, target, uppercut, virender sehwag, wicket, wickets