Sehwag leading India loses toss, New Zealand battingMarch 26th, 2009 - 5:37 am ICT by IANS
Napier, March 26 (IANS) Virender Sehwag, leading India in the absence of Mahendra Singh Dhoni who is out with a back problem, lost the toss and New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori decided to bat in the second cricket Test here at McLean Park Thursday.
Dinesh Karthik comes into the side for Dhoni as wicketkeeper-batsman, the only change in the Indian side that won the first Test in four days at Hamilton’s Seddon Park last week.
New Zealand made two changes - off-spinner Jeetan Patel for off-form Kyle Mills and batsman Jaimie How for injured Daniel Flynn.
Sehwag thought it was good toss to lose as the pitch appeared to him hard with good bounce. He hoped his bowlers could exploit the fresh pitch in humid conditions like they did on the first morning at Hamilton when they took six wickets.
Vettori also chose to bat for the precise reason, a hard, belter of a pitch which has a reputation to be batsman-friendly.
Surprisingly, the home team is going into the Test with two spinners whereas the Indian side has only one in their line-up.
India: Virender Sehwag (captain), Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel. 12th man: Murali Vijay
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori (captain), Tim McIntosh, Martin Guptill, Jaimie How, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, James Franklin, Brendon McCullum (wicketkeeper), Jeetan Patel, Iain O’Brien, Chris Martin. 12th man: Kyle Mills
Umpires: Billy Doctrove (West Indies) and Ian Gould (England). TV umpire: Evan Watkin (New Zealand).
Match referee: Alan Hurst (Australia).
– Indo-Asian News Service
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- India opt to field against New Zealand - Sep 11, 2012
- India elect to bat against New Zealand - Aug 25, 2010
- India wins toss, to bat against New Zealand - Nov 04, 2010
- Daniel Vettori wins toss, puts India in to bat in third Test - Apr 03, 2009
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Aug 10, 2010
- Vettori wins toss, New Zealand to bat in 4th ODI - Mar 11, 2009
- India bowlers strike, New Zealand 98 for 3 (Lunch report) - Mar 26, 2009
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Weather again in Yuvraj's way (Preview) - Sep 10, 2012
- New Zealand elect to bat in third Test against India - Nov 20, 2010
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Sep 11, 2009
- India opt to field against New Zealand - Dec 01, 2010
- ICC confirms squads for World Twenty20 - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: brendon mccullum, captain tim, cricket test, daniel vettori, dinesh karthik, gautam gambhir, kyle mills, mahendra singh dhoni, mclean park, munaf patel, rahul dravid, sachin tendulkar, seddon park, tim mcintosh, tv umpire, virender sehwag, wicketkeeper, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan, zealand captain