Sehwag claims maiden five-wicket haul (Statistical highlights)November 1st, 2008 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) Virender Sehwag recorded his best bowling figures - and his maiden five-wicket haul - in Test cricket during the fourth day’s play of the third cricket Test between India and Australia here Saturday.His 5/104 came off 40 overs.
Other statistical highlights of the day’s play.
* Sehwag, for the first time, bowled more than 30 overs in an innings. In the West Indies’ second innings at Gros Islet in 2006, he had returned figures of 30-9-48-1.
* Sehwag became only the fourth Indian spinner to capture five wickets in an innings against Australia at the Feroz Shah Kotla, joining Bishan Singh Bedi (5/37 in 1969-70), Erapalli Prasanna (5/42 in 1969-70) and Kumble (5/67 in 1996-97)
* Michael Clarke (112) registered his third Test century against India - his eighth overall.
* For the first time, five Australian players - Hayden, Katich, Ponting, Hussey and Clarke made fifty-plus in an innings against India.
* Clarke and Watson put on 73 runs for the fifth wicket - Australia’s best partnership for this wicket-position at the Feroz Shah Kotla, surpassing the 67 between Steve Waugh and Michael Bevan in 1996-97.
* Cameron White and Clarke put on 106 - Australia’s best stand for the seventh wicket against India in India.
*White (44) registered his highest score in Test cricket, eclipsing his 18 not out in the first Test at Bangalore.
* Australia (577) made their highest total in India, surpassing their 574/7 declared in the 1986-87 Chennai Test.
* Australia’s total is their second best against India - their highest being 674 at Adelaide in 1947-48.
* Australia’s previous best at Feroz Shah Kotla was 468 in December 1959.