Schumacher top overtaker in 2011 F1 seasonDecember 25th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 25 (IANS) Michael Schumacher might have had another tough year in Formula One after his return, but he ended the 2011 season as the top overtaker, according to data compiled by the Mercedes GP team.
The seven-time World Champion recorded 116 passes in the 19 races, two more than the Toro Rosso’s Sebastien Buemi.
Schumacher’s tally can be attributed to his ability to gain places initially in the race every time he qualified low on the grid and a Mercedes car that only proved slower to the top three teams in Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari; Autosport reported Saturday.
Schumacher finished the year at eighth position in the drivers’ standings, behind younger teammate Nico Rosberg for the second year in a row.
The team’s data reveals that there were a total of 1,486 overtaking moves during the season.
In individual races, the Turkish Grand Prix saw the maximum number of overtakes at 85, ahead of Canada (79) and China (67). The rounds in Monaco (16), Australia (17), India and Brazil (18) witnessed the least number of overtaking manoeuvres.
The top 10 overtakers of 2011, according to Mercedes GP’s data:
Pos Driver Passes
1. Michael Schumacher 116
2. Sebastien Buemi 114
3. Kamui Kobayashi 99
4. Jaime Alguersuari 94
5. Pastor Maldonado 91
6. Paul di Resta 90
7. Sergio Perez 87
8. Rubens Barrichello 86
9. Jenson Button 85
10. Felipe Massa 82
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Japanese Grand Prix - Oct 10, 2010
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Red Bull's Vettel takes pole for Chinese Grand Prix - Apr 16, 2011
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Rosberg wins maiden F1 race in China, Force India draw blank - Apr 15, 2012
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Monaco GP: Webber on pole, Hulkenberg miss top-10 - May 26, 2012
- Red Bull retain team title in Korea, Force India collect a point - Oct 16, 2011
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: autosport, dec 25, eighth position, f1 season, felipe massa, formula one, gp team, jenson button, kobayashi, maximum number, mclaren, mercedes car, michael schumacher, pastor maldonado, red bull, rosberg, rubens barrichello, sebastien, time world champion, toro rosso