Scholes returns to Manchester UnitedJanuary 9th, 2012 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 8 (IANS) Former England midfielder Paul Scholes has made a sensational return to Manchester United after retiring from professional football at the end of last year’s English Premier League season.Manchester United’s Alex Ferguson is facing an injury crisis in the midfield and included the 37-year-old on the bench for Sunday’s Manchester derby in the third round of the FA Cup.
Scholes who spent 17 years at Old Trafford won 10 Premier League titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups and two Champions Leagues with the Manchester club.
“It’s fantastic that Paul has made this decision,” Ferguson was quoted as saying by ESPN Soccernet.
Even after retiring Scholes continued to play the game and has kept himself fit. He is part of the the club’s reserve team coaching staff.
“It’s always sad to see great players end their careers, but especially so when they do it early. But he has kept himself in great shape and I always felt that he had another season in him. It’s terrific to have him back,” Ferguson added.
Scholes said: “I’ve been pretty clear since I stopped playing that I miss it. I’m delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team and I’m looking forward to playing my part in trying to bring more success to this great club.”
- Scholes agrees to new one-year deal with Man U - Feb 24, 2011
- Modric is Man U's prime summer target - Jan 22, 2012
- Fergie confident about Man U delivering against Olympique Marseille - Feb 23, 2011
- Ferguson eyeing Rooney 'burst' ahead of important Premier League games - Feb 19, 2011
- Man U legend Scholes not a 'fair' player, says Wenger - Aug 21, 2010
- Ferguson at risk of another FA rap over referee 'conspiracy' comment - May 02, 2011
- Ferguson gets 100-mn pounds to buy new players - Dec 04, 2010
- Man City cannot be considered United's major rivals: Scholes - Apr 15, 2011
- Rooney asks Man U teammate Scholes to rejoin England squad - Aug 26, 2010
- Ferguson campaigning for ManU legend Giggs' knighthood - Sep 25, 2010
- Ferguson hails Man U's 'golden oldies' Scholes and Giggs - Aug 17, 2010
- Ferguson warns Man U players of summer axe - Apr 19, 2011
- Ferguson to resume bid for Everton star Jack Rodwell - Feb 19, 2011
- Japanese midfielder Kagawa completes move to United - Jun 23, 2012
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, champions leagues, english premier league, espn, espn soccernet, fa cup, fa cups, great shape, injury crisis, league cups, league titles, london jan, manchester club, manchester united, midfield, old trafford, paul scholes, professional football, sensational return, team coaching