Saurav Ghosal retains Chennai Open titleJuly 7th, 2008 - 1:09 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 6 (IANS) National champion and top seed Saurav Ghosal retained his Chennai Open squash crown as he overcame compatriot Ritwik Bhattacharya 7-11, 11-7, 11-7, 11-6, in the men’s final here Sunday for his third PSA title. The men’s final was an excellent display of rally finishing. Bhattacharya played a tight first game and this showed in his finishing the game in just 10 minutes.
The second game set the tone for the rest of the match. Unforced errors by Bhattacharya allowed Ghosal to level the match. The next couple of games saw Ghosal gliding over the court and the ‘human rubber band’ was able to run down practically every ball to take control of the third game as well.
The fourth game saw Ghosal jump to a 5-1 lead, and though Bhattacharya played some excellent points, he wasn’t in a position to wrest the momentum away from Ghosal.
The match ended tamely though, with a stroke being awarded to Ghosal to retain the Chennai Open crown he had won last year.
Later, teenager Dipika Palliakal, seeded fifth, went down 9-3, 10-8, 10-8, to No.4 Annie Au from Hong Kong in the women’s final.
Dipika, searching for her first Women International Squash Player’s Association (WISPA) tour title, struggled at the onset with Annie’s drop-drive game.
In the second set, Dipika squandered her 8-0 lead going as the Hong Kong player took a firm grip of the match.
In the third, Annie played aggressively and raced to a 7-2 lead, Dipika fought hard and won seven games on the trot to move to 8-7. However, in the final twist, Annie bounced back to win three points for the match as Dipika blew three game balls.
The results (seedings in brackets):
PSA Men’s final: (1) Saurav Ghosal (IND) bt (2) Ritwik Bhattacharya (IND) 7-11, 11-7, 11-7, 11-6 (49 min)
WISPA Women’s final: (4) Annie Au (HKG) bt (5) Dipika Pallikal (IND) 9-3, 10-8, 10-8 (44 min)
- Ghosal lone Indian survivor in Chennai Open squash - Mar 04, 2010
- Dipika qualifies for main draw of Chennai squash - Mar 03, 2010
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- Indian women bag Asian Squash title, men lose to Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Ghosal in semi-finals of Chennai Open squash - Mar 05, 2010
- Dipika, Joshna in last 8 - Apr 21, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Dipika enters semi-finals of Asian Squash - May 02, 2010
- Ghosal goes down fighting in Chennai Open squash - Mar 07, 2010
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Squash World Cup: Malaysia shock France to enter semis - Mar 10, 2011
- Anwesha packs off Fialova in PSA Challenger squash - Oct 07, 2009
- All-Indian final at ICL Chennai Open squash - Jul 06, 2008
- Nandrajog wins Coca-Cola Squash Open - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: compatriot, dipika pallikal, drive game, final 4, final twist, firm grip, first game, first women, game balls, ghosal, hkg, international squash, national champion, open crown, ritwik bhattacharya, second game, seven games, squash player, third game, wispa