Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship finalApril 30th, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, April 30 (IANS) Brazilian international striker Neymar scored a hat-trick as Santos advanced to the Sao Paulo state championship final with a 3-1 victory over Sao Paulo.
Neymar opened the scoring at the Morumbi stadium with a third-minute penalty before capitalizing on a brilliant Paulo Henrique Ganso pass to make it 2-0 in 31 minutes here Sunday, reported Xinhua.
Sao Paulo’s Willian Jose reduced the deficit for the home side with a 63rd minute strike before Neymar sealed the win in the 76th minute.
Santos will now meet Guarani in next Sunday’s final, who defeated Ponte Preta 3-1.
Neymar’s three goals took his career tally with Santos to 102 from just 180 games.
The 20-year-old is now Santos’ third highest goalscorer since Pele retired from the club in 1974.
After the match Neymar praised his teammates for the team’s performance.
“It was a great game, but I didn’t do anything by myself. This is a team that works hard for one another and today everybody was fantastic,” Neymar said.
Neymar’s performance drew praise from both his teammates and opponents.
“He is amazing. Yet again he helped us with three beautiful goals to take us to the final,” said Ganso, colleague of Neymar.
Sao Paulo midfielder Lucas, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, labelled Neymar a “genius with the ball”.
- Neymar-inspired Santos draw first blood in final - May 07, 2012
- Santos slam Ponte Preta 6-1 in Sao Paulo state championship - Feb 26, 2012
- Ganso scores twice as Santos thrash Catanduvense - Apr 16, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
- Neymar ensures Santos victory over Flamengo - Sep 13, 2012
- Corinthians shock Santos in Libertadores semis - Jun 14, 2012
- Neymar scores 100th career goal on birthday - Feb 06, 2012
- Felipe brace sends Vasco da Gama into Rio Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Santos equal record to cruise into Copa Libertadores quarter-finals - May 11, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Corinthians come from behind, Santos draw in season opener - Jan 22, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Neymar scores hat-trick as Brazil outplay China - Sep 11, 2012
- Santos record convincing away win in Libertadores Cup - Mar 16, 2012
- Hulk scores second-half winner for Brazil - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: colleague, games, genius, great game, hat trick, match, midfielder, morumbi stadium, neymar, opponents, paulo henrique, pele, real madrid, rio de janeiro, sao paulo state, striker, tally, teammates, victory, xinhua