Santos preparing offer to keep Neymar beyond 2014April 6th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 6 (IANS) Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro has revealed the club is preparing a new proposal to keep Brazilian prodigy Neymar at the club beyond 2014.
The club signed a new deal last November securing the 20-year-old until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
But Santos now wants Neymar, who is reportedly being chased by Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid, to stay at Vila Belmiro for life.
“Santos is reliving the Pele era, I’ve even spoke to Platini (UEFA president Michel Platini) about it,” Ribeiro was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“Neymar is a phenomenon and without peer. Let’s see if in two years we can start a new project together.”
Last week Neymar signed a new four-year sponsorship deal with German car manufacturer Volkswagen.
His list of private sponsors has now reached 10 and includes global brands like Nike, Panasonic, Red Bull and Santander.
Such is Neymar’s marketing appeal that Santos contributes less than 10% of his reported monthly salary of three million reais ($1.6 million).
“Neymar has already said he doesn’t want to leave Santos,” Ribeiro said.
“I have told him: ‘If you want to go to Europe, charter a flight and you will be picked up in a limousine’.
“He makes a lot of money here - he has even purchased a yacht. What else does he want? Two cars? A plane? Planes cost a lot and are high maintenance.
“He is better off staying in Brazil than going to Europe to put with violent players and snow,” he added.
- Neymar's father denies bankruptcy fears - Aug 29, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Santos accuses Brazil confederation of burning out Neymar - Jun 15, 2012
- Barcelona aim to unite Neymar and Messi - Mar 11, 2012
- Barcelona in bid to secure Neymar after Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Brazilian teen star likely to snub Chelsea's 30 million pound Drogba replacement offer - Mar 31, 2011
- Brazilian star Neymar may join Chelsea soon - Aug 26, 2010
- AC Milan's Robinho plays down home return - May 07, 2012
- Robinho plays down return to Santos - May 05, 2012
- Neymar begs Ganso to stay at Santos - Jul 19, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Former Brazil coach urges Neymar to shun Barcelona - Sep 05, 2012
- Chelsea boss Villas Boas wants Neymar - Dec 19, 2011
- Brazilian club Santos keen to re-sign Robinho - Apr 14, 2012
- Neymar crowned Brazilian player of year - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: 6 million, german car manufacturer, global brands, high maintenance, last november, limousine, new deal, president luis, private sponsors, prodigy, real madrid, red bull, ribeiro, rio de janeiro, sponsorship deal, two cars, vila, world cup, xinhua, yacht