Santos accuses Brazil confederation of burning out NeymarJune 15th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 15 (IANS) Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro has accused Brazil’s football confederation of “burning out” star striker Neymar.
The 20-year-old cut a frustrated figure during Santos’ 0-1 loss to Corinthians in their Copa Libertadores semi-final first leg Wednesday, reported Xinhua.
His lacklustre performance followed four international matches for Brazil in two continents over 14 days.
Ribeiro said he would seek a meeting with Brazil’s confederation president Jose Maria Marin to voice his concern.
“Neymar is exhausted,” Ribeiro said. “There was no need to play him in those matches. Just like you don’t test Lionel Messi, you don’t need to test Neymar.
“To do that in the middle of important Copa Libertadores matches has burnt out the young man physically and psychologically.”
Neymar, who late last year rejected overtures from Real Madrid and Barcelona by committing to Santos until 2014, has scored 27 goals from 26 matches for his club this season.
He denied suffering any ill effects from his hectic recent schedule following the Corinthians defeat.
“I’m feeling fine. It (the Corinthians game) was just one of those matches where things didn’t go right. That’s football,” Neymar said.
Earlier this year Ribeiro called for an overhaul of Brazil’s packed domestic football calendar, which features league or Cup matches during every month of the year.
Most major European leagues have at least a three-month break between seasons.
- Neymar vows to avenge Santos' shock defeat - Apr 27, 2012
- Santos preparing offer to keep Neymar beyond 2014 - Apr 06, 2012
- Corinthians shock Santos in Libertadores semis - Jun 14, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Mano Menezes wants Neymar playing in Europe - Mar 12, 2012
- Roma secures Brazilian defender Castan - Jul 03, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Barcelona aim to unite Neymar and Messi - Mar 11, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Neymar, Messi in charity match - Apr 01, 2012
- Brazil releases Neymar, Ganso for Libertadores quarter-final - May 15, 2012
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
- Robinho plays down return to Santos - May 05, 2012
Tags: copa libertadores, corinthians, domestic football, football calendar, football confederation, ill effects, jose maria marin, lacklustre performance, lionel, month of the year, overtures, president luis, real madrid, ribeiro, rio de janeiro, star striker, t test, two continents, xinhua, young man