Sania-Vesnina win Indian Wells women’s doubles titleMarch 20th, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
Indian Wells, Mar 20(ANI): Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina have defeated eighth-seeded Americans Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy 6-0, 7-5 to capture the 2011 BNP Paribas Open women’s doubles title.
Sania and Vesnina, who were unseeded in Indian Wells, took the first set in just 24 minutes.
The Americans rebounded in the second set, building a 5-1 lead, but Mirza and Vesnina went on another roll of six straight games to close out the championship.
It is Sania’s 10th and Vesnina’s fourth WTA doubles title.
“It improves certain areas of your game you don’t use in singles. People who do better in doubles, they go into singles and go to net and use certain serves more. It has always helped me - I guess I’m Indian, doubles comes more naturally to me,” Sania said. (ANI)
- Sania, Elena win Indian Wells title (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Sania-Elena win second WTA Tour title - Apr 11, 2011
- French Open: Sania-Bethanie hope to make a strong start - May 28, 2012
- Sania-Mattek win Brussels Open - May 28, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bethanie lose in first round - May 29, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- US Open: Sania-Bethanie in third round - Sep 02, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Sania-Bethanie in final of WTA Brussels Open - May 24, 2012
- We'll win a Grand Slam doubles title some day: Vesnina - Jun 04, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna shocked in French Open first round - May 31, 2012
- Paes in mixed quarters, beaten in men's doubles (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Paes-Peya knocked out of French Open - Jun 02, 2012
- US Open: Paes, Sania advance to quarterfinals - Sep 03, 2012