Sania slumps to 50th rank, Somdev soarsJuly 28th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Sania Mirza’s poor form finally took a tool on her singles ranking as she went hurtling down a massive 15 places to 50th spot in the latest WTA rankings released Monday. The biggest Indian mover was Somdev Devvarman, who jumped a phenomenal 221 places in ATP singles rankings to 345th spot after winning his maiden Challenger tournament in Lexington Sunday.
Devvarman, who has now won four tournaments on the trot, is the third Indian o be ranked after Prakash Amritraj and Rohan Bopanna in singles. Amritraj remained at 221 he go to after playing the Hall of Fame final at New Port Rhode Island, while Bopanna lost seven rungs to be at 329.
Sania though got a jolt just before the Olympics as she had been going through a form slump since her return to circuit just before the Wimbledon after surgery to her wrist. She lost to Meng Yuan in the second round of $600,000 East West Bank Classic last week and before that she went down to a British qualifier in the first round of the Stanford WTA tournament. She had also lost in second round matches at WTA events in Birmingham, s’Hertogenbosch and Wimbledon.
Sania also lost six places in the doubles ranking and is placed at 26. Her doubles partner in Olympics –Sunitha Rao also dropped three rungs to 130.
Leander Paes, who lost in the doubles semifinals at the Rogers Masters Sunday, maintained his 15th position in the individual doubles ranking. Paes and his Czech Republic Lukas Dlouhy though gained two spots to 15th. Mahesh Bhupathi gained two spots to reach 10th place.
- Sania reaches career best doubles ranking - Jun 06, 2011
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Sania gains four places in tennis singles rankings - May 14, 2012
- Somdev, Sania unchanged in rankings - Oct 24, 2011
- Somdev, Sania climb in rankings - Aug 15, 2011
- Somdev gains five places to 79 - Oct 31, 2011
- Somdev reaches career high ranking of 66 - May 16, 2011
- Somdev touches career-high ranking of 68 - May 09, 2011
- I'm back to playing my best tennis: Sania Mirza (Interview) - Jun 14, 2011
- Sania climbs 17 places, Somdev drops one - Apr 11, 2011
- Bopanna gains a place in doubles rankings, Bhupathi drops one - Jul 23, 2012
- Sania falls to 77 in WTA rankings - Feb 15, 2010
- Bopanna drops out of top-10 doubles ranking - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: challenger tournament, dlouhy, east west bank, hall of fame, jolt, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, prakash amritraj, rogers masters, rohan bopanna, rungs, s hertogenbosch, sania mirza, slump, slumps, soars, sunitha rao, wimbledon, wta rankings, wta tournament