Sania Mirza to marry Sohrab MirzaMay 30th, 2009 - 2:10 am ICT by GD
Indian Tennis sensation Sania Mirza got engaged to Indian businessman Sohrab Mirza. The latter is the son of Adil Mirza and Noora Begum, who own Universal Bakers chain in Hyderabad. Sania and Sohrab are long time friends and are going to be married soon, in all probability in 2010.
Sania Mirza started her career in 2003 and has had a career high ranking of 27 in singles and 18 in doubles. The Indian government bestowed upon her the Arjuna award. Sania Mirza’s name has been linked to a lot of big celebrities like Marat Safin and Shahid Kapoor. Sania is no less than any Bollywood star in India, and enjoys a strong fan base all over the world.
In 2009, she won the Australian Open Mixed Doubles title playing with Mahesh Bhupathi, which was her maiden Grand Slam title. She and partner Bhupathi beat Nathalie Dechy (France) and Andy Ram (Israel). She then played at the Pattaya Women’s Open tournament in Bangkok. She reached the finals, but lost to Vera Zvonareva.
Sohrab Mirza, born in 1985, is a year older to Sania, and is presently pursuing his MBA. Sania Mirza is currently playing in the French open, so she was not available for any comment.
In 2006 Sania Mirza was awarded the Padma Shree, which is the fourth highest civilian honor in India. The engagement date has been set for 10th of July. As a Muslim she had faced a lot of flak from the orthodox Islamic factions the world over for her attire. She displayed a very strong will power, not giving into their demands of following the Islamic dress code. She was issued a fatwa by an Islamic scholar for her “immoral” behavior.
- Sania Mirza goes down fighting to Henin in opening round of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Sania Mirza to face Justine Henin in Australian Open - Jan 16, 2011
- Bhupathi's unique mixed doubles record - Jun 08, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania out of singles, doubles hopes alive - Feb 10, 2012
- I'm the proudest wife: Lara on Mahesh-Sania's win - Jun 08, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina surprise Raymond-Huber to enter semis - Jan 24, 2012
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Sania Mirza calls off engagement due to incompatibility (Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- French title will not get Sania-Bhupathi London ticket - Jun 08, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sania first Indian to reach women's doubles Grand Slam final - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: andy ram, australian open mixed doubles, begum, bollywood star, grand slam title, immoral behavior, indian businessman, indian tennis, islamic dress code, islamic scholar, long time friends, mahesh bhupathi, marat safin, nathalie dechy, noora, sania mirza, shahid kapoor, shree, tennis sensation, vera zvonareva