Sania in Vancouver quarterfinals with easy victoryAugust 7th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
Vancouver, Aug 7 (IANS) Top seed Sania Mirza easily moved into the quarterfinals of the $175,000 Oldum Brown Vancouver Open, beating American Laura Granville 6-2, 6-4.
Sania, who had a hard-fought 6-4, 7-5 first-round victory over 410th-ranked American Mallory Cecil, had things to her liking in the second round of the ITF women’s tournament Thursday.
Granville, who like Sania was once among the top 30 on the WTA rankings, could not handle the power-packed hitting of the Indian, particularly the sizzling forehand, and meekly surrendered.
A two-time finalist here, Glanville crashed from a career-high 27 in 2003 to 401, staying off the entire last year with a wrist injury similar to that of the Indian star.
In the quarterfinals, Sania plays local favourite Rebecca Marino who just about managed to overcome eighth seed Olivia Rogowska of Australia in two contesting sets, 7-5, 7-6 (0).
Sharon Fichman is among the five Canadians in the last eight. She knocked out third-seeded American Madison Brengle 6-2, 6-2.
In the other matches of the day, Canadian Heidi El Tabakh beat Anna Tatishvili of Georgia 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, Thailand’s Noppawan Lertcheewakarn beat Russian Olga Puchkova 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, American Mashona Washington beat fifth-seeded Australian Sophie Ferguson 7-6(7), 6-4, Canadian Marie-Eve Pelletier beat China’s Meng Yuan 6-4, 6-1, and Canadian Stephanie Dubois beat Israeli Julia Glushko 6-1, 6-2.
- Sania in Vancouver Open semi-finals (Lead) - Aug 08, 2009
- Sania overcomes Fichman, enters Vancouver final - Aug 09, 2009
- Sania in semi-finals of Vancouver tennis tournament - Aug 08, 2009
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Sania and Paes move up, Bhupathi-Bopanna lose (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Monfils advances in Stockholm Open as seeds crash out - Oct 21, 2011
- Sania Mirza fails to make main draw in Rogers Cup - Aug 17, 2009
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina knocked out, Paes-Stepanek through to semi-finals - Jan 25, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina lose, Paes-Stepanek reach semis (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Sania in pre-quarters of Family Circle Cup - Apr 06, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi and Bopanna-Qureshi in quarterfinals - Aug 19, 2011
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Saina in quarters, to face Azarenka-Mirnyi (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: anna tatishvili, easy victory, eighth seed, forehand, heidi el tabakh, indian star, itf women, laura granville, madison brengle, mallory, marie eve pelletier, mashona washington, meng yuan, quarterfinals, sania mirza, sharon fichman, sophie ferguson, stephanie dubois, wrist injury, wta rankings