Sania in second round at DubaiFebruary 17th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Feb 17 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza carried her good form in the Dubai Tennis Championships, overpowering Russian Ekaterina Makarova 7-5, 6-2.
Sania, who was given a wildcard in the tournament, was backed by a large Indian community here as she recovered from an early drop of serve by breaking Makarova in the eighth game and dominating from there on.
The Indian, who reached Pattaya Open final last week, took the charge in the second set allowing the Russian just two games.
Sania now plays the 16th-seeded Estonian Kaia Kanepi with the winner likely to face the former world No. 1 Jelena Jankovic of Serbia in the third round.
- Sania advances into Dubai Open second round - Feb 17, 2009
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- French Open: Sania-Vesnina in women's doubles second round - May 25, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina thrashed in Dubai Open final - Feb 26, 2012
- Sania-Mattek win Brussels Open - May 28, 2012
- French Open: Paes-Bhupathi seeded 3rd, Bopanna-Qureshi 5th - May 23, 2011
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- Sania-Santangelo in Dubai doubles second round - Feb 18, 2009
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina advance to finals in Dubai - Feb 25, 2012
- Sania out of Dubai Tennis Championships singles - Feb 17, 2009
- Pattaya Open: Sania out of singles, doubles hopes alive - Feb 10, 2012
- Bhupathi's US Open campaign ends - Sep 05, 2010