Sania cracks top 10 in doubles, slips 17 ranks in singlesSeptember 12th, 2011 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza Monday cracked the top-10 in the women’s doubles tennis rankings. Her singles rankings, however, slipped 17 places to 81.
The top Indian women’s player, who is nursing a knee injury, climbed a rung to the 10th position in the new Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) doubles rankings.
Her doubles partner Elena Vesnina of Russia also moved up a place to 11th position.
“Woke up to find out I cracked the top 10 in the world… thanks each and everyone of u for the support and love all these years,” Sania wrote on her twitter account.
“Needed some good news to lift up spirits after this silly knee injury… hope to recover soon….”
India’s experienced doubles player Mahesh Bhupathi congratulated Sania for her achievement and exhorted her to maintain her ranking.
“Welcome @MirzaSania to the top-10 club. That’s a big effort. Now stay there for a while please. :),” Bhupathi tweeted.
Sania and Elena had crashed out of the US Open doubles in the third round last week. The two came together at the Qatar Open this year and went on to win the titles at Indian Wells and Charleston before reaching the French Open final.
Sania won her third doubles title Citi Open women’s doubles title partnering Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan last month as Vesnina decided to take the week off.
Sania and Elena are placed four in Race to WTA Championships rankings. Sania’s injury may prevent them from participating in the year-end event.
The 24-year-old Hyderabadi, who had entered the US Open with a singles rankings of 64, spiralled down after her first round defeat in the tournament’s singles event, losing in three sets to her former doubles partner Shahar Peer of Israel.
- Sania-Shvedova win Citi Open doubles title - Aug 01, 2011
- Sania first Indian to reach women's doubles Grand Slam final - Jun 02, 2011
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- We hold the edge in the final: Sania (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Sania reaches career best doubles ranking - Jun 06, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina surprise Raymond-Huber to enter semis - Jan 24, 2012
- We'll win a Grand Slam doubles title some day: Vesnina - Jun 04, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina win Indian Wells women's doubles title - Mar 20, 2011
- I'm back to playing my best tennis: Sania Mirza (Interview) - Jun 14, 2011
- Sania climbs 17 places, Somdev drops one - Apr 11, 2011
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Somdev reaches career best 73 in singles - Mar 21, 2011
- Bopanna drops out of top-10 doubles ranking - Nov 28, 2011
- French Open: Sania-Bethanie hope to make a strong start - May 28, 2012
Tags: doubles player, elena vesnina, french open, hyderabadi, indian wells, indian women, knee injury, mahesh bhupathi, New Delhi, open doubles, open women, sania mirza, shahar peer, shvedova, tennis association, tennis rankings, twitter, world thanks, wta doubles, year end