Sania-Bhupathi in mixed doubles, Yuki in boys final (Round Up)January 30th, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 30 (IANS) It turned out to be India’s day in the Australian Open Friday as Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza entered the mixed doubles final for the second successive year, while Yuki Bhambri breezed into the boys final.Bhupathi and Sania shrugged off an indifferent start to outplay Czech pair Lukas Dlouhy and Iveta Benesova 6-4, 6-1.
Sania and Bhupathi set-up a final clash with France’s Nathalie Dechy and Andy Ram of Israel who overcame a stiff resistance from Spain’s seventh-seeded pair Anabel Medina Garrigues and Tommy Robredo 7-6 (7), 6-4 Thursday.
In the boy’s singles, top seed Yuki swept aside seventh-seeded France’s Adrien Puget 6-4, 6-4 to reach his first Grand Slam final where he meets Germany’s Alexandros-Ferdinandos Georgoudas who pulled off a shock 6-4, 6-4, win over second seed Julen Uriguen of Guatemala.
“It was a tough match, I was 1-4 down in the second set. It was pretty hot out there, but I stuck it out to win. It is yet to sink in that I am in the final,” Yuki told IANS.
Yuki’s doubles campaign with Chinese Taipei’s Liang-Chi Huang, however, came to an end when they lost 3-6, 1-6 to Russia’s Mikhal Biryukov and Japanese Yasutaka Uchiyama.
Winner of 10 Grand Slams, Bhupathi is in line for two more with his final appearances in men’s doubles and mixed doubles.
Bhupathi, who has won six mixed doubles and four men’s doubles titles is on the verge of winning a Grand Slam double for the second time, having entered the men’s doubles final with Mark Knowles of Bahamas. Mahesh and Knowles play the Bryan twins Mark and Bob in Saturday’s final.
Bhupathi had entered both the men’s and mixed doubles finals at the U.S. Open in 1999, but could only win the mixed title with Japanese Ai Sugiyama, losing the men’s doubles final with Leander Paes.
Bhupathi’s last mixed doubles title was in 2006 when he and former women’s World No. 1 Martina Hingis won at the Australian Open and his last men’s doubles win came at the U.S. Open with Belarussian Max Mirnyi.
Bhupathi and Sania showed a stomach for fight with the latter making up for Bhupathi’s sluggish start. The 22-year old Hyderabadi excelled both at the net and from the baseline with some outstanding groundstrokes and volleys. The Indians broke Dlouhy’s serve four times, twice in each set, to make their task easier in the 54-minute battle.
The only time the Indians trailed in the entire match was when Bhupathi dropped his first service game of the match and trailed 0-3. But Sania handled the situation remarkably well to pull the Indian pair back.
The Indians were back in the hunt after breaking Dlouhy for the first time, rallying from 0-40. From then on there was no looking back by the Indian pair. As they pounced on Dlouhy’s serve again the set was gone for the Czech pair and Bhupathi served it out.
Dlouhy continued to serve poorly and as Sania got into the overdrive, Bhupathi, too, chipped in with timely interceptions at the net to gain the upper hand straightaway in the second set. A demoralised Czech pair watched helplessly as the Indians struck winner after winner to take the set and the match.
- French Open: Paes in mixed doubles quarters, exits from doubles - May 28, 2011
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna shocked in French Open first round - May 31, 2012
- French Open: Paes on course for his 12th Grand Slam - Jun 03, 2010
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi crash out in second round - Jun 25, 2011
- French Open: Sania-Elena in women's doubles final - Jun 02, 2011
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi, Somdev and Sania advance in doubles - Jun 25, 2011
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Paes-Vesnina, Bhupathi-Sania in mixed doubles 2nd round - May 31, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out of Wimbledon - Jul 04, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- We hold the edge in the final: Sania (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: alexandros, anabel medina garrigues, andy ram, chinese taipei, dlouhy, grand slams, iveta benesova, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, martina hingis, mixed doubles, nathalie dechy, paes bhupathi, s liang, sania mirza, stiff resistance, tommy robredo, uchiyama, yuki bhambri