Sania-Bhupathi cruise into Australian Open finalsJanuary 30th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 30, (ANI): Indian Pair Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi entered the finals of Australian Open mixed doubles after beating Czech duo Iveta Benesova and Lukas Dlouhy in straight sets.
The Indian pair beat their Czech rivals 6-4 6-1, and made into the finals of Australian Open for second consecutive year. They lost last years final at the Melbourne Park.
Trailing in the opening set 1-3, Sania and Bhupathi stormed back to seal the match in just 54 minutes.
In finals, they will take on the unseeded French-Israeli pair of Nathalie Dechy and Andy Ram, who defeated seventh seeded Spaniards Anabel Medina Garrigues and Tommy Robredo 7-6 (9/7) 6-4.
The win makes it a double delight for Bhupathi, who along with Bahamas Mark Knowles, has also made it to the mens doubles finals to be played on Saturday.
Mahesh Bhupathi has now a chance to grab his seventh mixed doubles Grand Slam title and 11th overall.
His last mixed doubles Grand Slam was the Australian Open itself in 2006, when he had partnered Swiss Martina Hingis.
Sania, however, has a chance to grab her maiden Slam title. (ANI)
- Bhupathi's unique mixed doubles record - Jun 08, 2012
- Sania excels to help Bhupathi enter second final(Lead) - Jan 30, 2009
- Sania-Bhupathi in mixed doubles, Yuki in boys final (Round Up) - Jan 30, 2009
- Bhupathi-Vesnina lose in Wimbledon mixed doubles final (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- French Open: Paes in mixed doubles quarters, exits from doubles - May 28, 2011
- Sania Mirza goes down fighting to Henin in opening round of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- French Open: Paes, Bhupathi in mixed doubles second round - May 26, 2011
- French Open: Sania enters doubles quarters, Bhupathi exits - May 30, 2011
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Bhupathi-Sania in mixed doubles final of Australian Open - Jan 30, 2009
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- Paes-Vesnina, Bhupathi-Sania in mixed doubles 2nd round - May 31, 2012
- Sania Mirza to face Justine Henin in Australian Open - Jan 16, 2011
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: anabel medina garrigues, andy ram, australian open, australian open mixed doubles, dlouhy, double delight, grand slam title, indian pair, iveta benesova, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, martina hingis, melbourne park, nathalie dechy, rivals, sania mirza, second consecutive year, spaniards, straight sets, tommy robredo