Sangakkara tips Knight Riders to win IPLMay 10th, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) Bottom-placed Deccan Chargers captain Kumar Sangakkara has predicted that Shahrukh Khan-owned Kolkata Knight Riders will win the fifth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
“On form, I would say Kolkata (Knight Riders),” Sangakkara was quoted as saying by the IPL’s official website.
Talking about other teams’ chances, Sangakkara said Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings had a balanced side while Chennai’s inconsistency could prove costly for them.
The Sri Lankan southpaw was all praise for Knight Riders’ skipper Gautam Gambhir.
“Kolkata (Knight Riders) have been playing exceptionally well. I think you have to give credit to the way Gautam (Gambhir) has managed to get those guys to gel together. They have some top quality in that side.”
Adding the fact that sides with better local quotient performed well, he said, “I think the most important thing when you look at all these sides(Delhi and Kolkata) is the quality of the local Indian players. Delhi has got Viru [Virender Sehwag], Ajit Agarkar, Umesh Yadav, Irfan Pathan. So does Kolkata when you look at Yusuf Pathan, Gautam Gambhir, Manoj Tiwary, (Laxmi Ratan) Shukla.”
Attributing attrition of cricketers to various other franchises as one of the reasons for Charger’s failure, Sangakkara felt they had a great team in hand and wished to have a good bowling coach in order to help young Indian fast bowlers.
“We have lost (Pragyan) Ojha. We have lost Harmeet (Singh Bansal). We have lost KP, and KP is a big cricketer. So is Harmeet. He has done a wonderful job for Deccan and he is very useful on selected tracks,” he said.
“One of the other things that we can do is look for a good bowling coach, who can help the youngsters especially a guy like Veer (Pratap Singh).”
- Knight Riders opt to bowl against Deccan Chargers - Apr 22, 2012
- Knight Riders cruise to five-wicket win over Chargers (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Missed chances again cost us the game: Sangakkara - Apr 23, 2012
- KKR back at Eden, Ganguly's absence talking point - Apr 10, 2011
- KKR relying on Yusuf Pathan to beat Rajasthan Royals - Apr 15, 2011
- Daredevils pace attack has blossomed under Simmons: Morkel - May 05, 2012
- Gambhir's price astonishing: Fleming, Lehmann - Jan 08, 2011
- IPL 2011: Kallis powers Knight Riders to win over Deccan - Apr 12, 2011
- Knight Riders elect to bat against Royal Challengers - Apr 28, 2012
- Eden Garderns set for Dada-SRK grudge match (Preview) - May 04, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 18, 2012
- Scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Knight Riders, IPL - Apr 23, 2012
- Akram excited to have Unadkat: KKR CEO - Jan 09, 2011
- Knight Riders opt to field against Kings XI - Apr 15, 2012
- We didn't bat intelligently towards the end: Gambhir - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: ajit agarkar, attrition, bansal, bowling coach, cricketer, cricketers, daredevils, deccan, fast bowlers, irfan pathan, knight riders, kumar sangakkara, manoj tiwary, pratap singh, ratan, shahrukh khan, southpaw, umesh, virender sehwag, yadav