Sangakkara replaces Tendulkar as number one Test batsmanNovember 29th, 2010 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Nov 29 (IANS) Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara Monday replaced India’s Sachin Tendulkar to be the number one batsman in the International Cricket Council’s Test rankings.
Sangakkara, who reached the top spot after scoring an impressive 150 runs against the West Indies in the ongoing home series, has 882 rating points in comparison to Tendulkar’s 859. Dashing Indian opener Virender Sehwag is at third place with 850 points.
South Africans Jacques Kallis (806 pts) is at fourth place while AB de Villiers (793) has leapfrogged to 5th from 13th position after his innings of 287 not out against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi.
India’s Zaheer Khan (743) has touched a career high ranking of three in the bowlers rankings.
Zaheer’s rise can be attributed to his figures of 4-90 against New Zealand in the second Test match at Hyderabad.
Australia’s hat-trick hero Peter Siddle (621) and England’s Steven Finn (552) have also climbed the rankings at the conclusion of the first Ashes Test. Siddle has risen to 14th after claiming 6-144 in the first Test while ICC ‘Young Player of the Year’ Finn has broken into the top-20 in 19th place after his six-wicket-haul.
Speedster Dale Steyn (860) of South Africa and England’s spinner Graeme Swann (831) are number one and two in the world.
There is no change in the rankings for Test all-rounders with Jacques Kallis still leading the field.
ICC Test Player Rankings
1 Kumar Sangakkara (SL)
2 Sachin Tendulkar (Ind)
3 Virender Sehwag (Ind)
4 Jacques Kallis (SA)
5 AB de Villiers (SA)
6 S. Chanderpaul (WI)
7 M Jayawardena (SL)
8 Jonathan Trott (Eng)
9 Graeme Smith (SA)
10 T. Samaraweera (SL)
1 Dale Steyn (SA)
2 Graeme Swann (Eng)
3 Zaheer Khan (Ind)
4 Mohammad Asif (Pak)
5 James Anderson (Eng)
1 Jacques Kallis (SA)
2 Daniel Vettori (NZ)
3 Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)
4 Stuart Broad (Eng)
5 Shane Watson (Aus)
- Bridgetown stars Laxman, Sharma break into top-10 of ICC rankings - Jul 03, 2011
- Tendulkar rises to fourth in Test rankings, Siddle in top 10 - Dec 30, 2011
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- Ojha breaks into top-15 of ICC Test rankings, India remain second - Nov 27, 2011
- Dravid moves to 10th place in Test rankings, Sachin drops to 5th - Aug 23, 2011
- ICC Test team: Sachin lone Indian in playing eleven - Aug 26, 2011
- Tendulkar wins ICC Player of the Year award - Oct 06, 2010
- Four Indians in ICC's ODI team, Dhoni captain - Sep 12, 2011
- Dravid breaks into top-10 of ICC rankings - Nov 18, 2011
- Kohli gets two nominations for ICC Awards - Aug 13, 2012
- Sachin and Kallis share top spot in Test rankings - Jun 10, 2011
- Dravid rises in ICC rankings, Tendulkar drops to 4th - Jul 26, 2011
- No Indian in ICC Test team - Aug 30, 2012
- Tendulkar moves to second spot in Test rankings - Dec 21, 2010
- Aussies don't figure in Wisden's 2010 Test XI - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: ab de villiers, al hasan, dale steyn, daniel vettori, first ashes test, hat trick hero, international cricket council, kumar sangakkara, mohammad asif, sachin tendulkar, shakib, shane watson, siddle, sl 8, south africans, test batsman, test match, virender sehwag, wicket haul, zaheer khan