Sangakkara on a record breaking spree, beats BradmanJuly 4th, 2012 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 4 (IANS) Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara has been on a record-breaking spree in the second Test against Pakistan here at the SSC grounds in the capital.
Sangakkara scored his 30th career Test century and ninth against Pakistan in the rain-hit Test match Tuesday and was involved in a 200-run partnership with opener Tillakaratne Dilshan, reports Xinhua.
During his innings, the former Sri Lankan captain went on to score the most number of career Test runs against Pakistan, beating the 2,089 runs scored by Indian legend Sunil Gavaskar.
Sangakkara’s ninth Test century against Pakistan was also the most number of Test centuries scored by any international cricketer against Pakistan.
Scoring his 30th Test hundred Sangakkara also joined an elite list of cricketers who haves cored 30 or more Test centuries.
Sangakkara went ahead of Australian legend Sir Don Bradman who scored 29 Test hundreds and is the second Sri Lankan on the list after captain Mahela Jayawardena who has 31 Test hundreds.
Indian master batsman Sachin Tendulkar heads the list with 51 Test hundreds.
Sangakkara led Sri Lanka in the last cricket World Cup last year but his team lost the final to India.
He resigned from the captaincy following the loss but continued to remain in the Sri Lankan team.
Cricket became a hugely popular game in Sri Lanka after the island nation won the cricket World Cup in 1996.
- Sangakkara reclaims top spot in Test rankings - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangakkara steps down from ODI, Twenty20 captaincy (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Dilshan, Tendulkar and Gambhir all rise in ICC rankings - Apr 04, 2011
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Swann jumps to fourth in Test rankings - Apr 08, 2012
- Tendulkar moves to second spot in Test rankings - Dec 21, 2010
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- India ride on Kohli and Gambhir's brilliance to beat Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Kohli fashions a miracle chase for India (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Gambhir returns to top spot in Test rankings - Nov 29, 2009
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Sangakkara, Jaywardene take Sri Lanka to 587/3 (Tea Report) - Jul 27, 2010
- Tendulkar wins ICC Player of the Year award - Oct 06, 2010
- Laxman now in elite company of Vishwanth, Gavaskar and Tendulkar (Statistical Highlights) - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: australian legend, career test, cricket world cup, cricketer, cricketers, dilshan, indian legend, island nation, kumar sangakkara, mahela jayawardena, master batsman, second test, sir don bradman, sri lankan team, sunil gavaskar, tendulkar, test century, test hundreds, test match, xinhua