Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing eventApril 24th, 2011 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Belgrade (Serbia), April 24 (IANS) Seasoned boxer Paramjeet Samota and prodigy Shiva Thapa clinched gold medals at the Belgrade Winner tournament here Sunday.
Samota, competing in the super heavyweight category, had to fight hard against Marceta Mane of Bosnia and Herzegovina, but the 22 year old continued to attack and in the end went on to take the yellow metal on individual score as the bout was tied at 6 all after three rounds. He defeated the experienced Rustam Rygebayev of Kazakhstan in the semifinal. Samota had also won the gold at the Commonwealth Games last year.
Meanwhile, Thapa, playing his very first international tournament on the senior tour, was two points behind by the end of the second round in the final. But the 17-year-old came back hard in the third defeating Bulgarian, Delaklive Detelin to be crowned the champion in the bantamweight category.
Thapa was the silver medallist at the Youth World Boxing Championships last year.
Manpreet Singh, the silver medallist at the 2010 Asian Games earned a bronze medal for his performance in the heavyweight category. He lost to Pulev Tervel of Bulgaria in the semifinal.
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Amandeep in final of Asian Confederation boxing - Aug 11, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Six Indian boxers assured of bronze at Cuban event - Jun 05, 2011
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Samota, Manpreet lead 10-member Indian team for Kazakh boxing meet - Feb 08, 2012
- CWG: Indian Boxer Paramjeet wins 36th Gold in Super Heavyweight category - Oct 13, 2010
- Indian boxers off to a good start in Cuba - Jun 03, 2011
- Gold medallist Paramjeet Samota's family, relatives celebrate his victory at hometown - Oct 14, 2010
- Amandeep settles for silver in Asian Boxing - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: 17 year old, april 24, asian games, bosnia and herzegovina, boxer, boxing event, bronze medal, bulgaria, champion, commonwealth games, gold medals, kazakhstan, mane, prodigy, score, serbia, silver medallist, world boxing