Sammy praises ‘unplayable’ NarineJuly 19th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Basseterre (St. Kitts), July 19 (IANS/CMC) Captain Darren Sammy has praised off spinner Sunil Narine as ‘unplayable’ and reliable following a career-best spell which swept the West Indies to a 20-run win over New Zealand in the final Digicel One-day International.
Narine captured five wickets for 27 runs from his allotment of 10 overs, as New Zealand failed to reach a victory target of 242 from their 50 overs at Warner Park Monday, reports CMC.
“We all know Sunil is a champion and when we are playing in our conditions he is unplayable,” declared Sammy.
“Especially when we post a good total knowing that we are going to get 60 balls from him. I know what he is going to do.”
Before Monday’s victory, West Indies had already won the series by taking an unbeatable 3-1 lead following last Saturday’s 24-run win.
Narine finished Monday’s game with the best bowling analysis by a West Indian against New Zealand in an ODI and the best ODI figures at Warner Park to earn the Man-of-the-Match award.
The 24-year-old ended the one day series with 13 wickets at a superb average of 11.23 and an economy rate of just 2.92 runs per over.
“So any situation … you could call on him and is good to have somebody like that in your team,” Sammy told reporters.
“You can turn to him (Narine) any given time in the game and I know he will continue to do well for us and have a very successful career.”
- I got five wickets thanks to Gibson's advice: Narine - Jul 18, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- I seized the opportunity: Sunil Narine - Jul 16, 2012
- Windies and Black Caps pay homage to Runako Morton - Jul 13, 2012
- Series remains alive after West Indies crash - Jul 12, 2012
- Narine breaks into ICC top 20 - Jul 25, 2012
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- No need to push panic button, cautions skipper Sammy - Jul 12, 2012
- Best thrilled at role in series victory - Jul 16, 2012
- Win has shifted momentum, says New Zealand skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- It's not all about me in West Indies, says Gayle - Jul 11, 2012