Sammy hopes to carry winning momentum into Test seriesJuly 24th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), July 24 (IANS/CMC) West Indies captain Darren Sammy said Monday his side would be going all out to win the Test series against New Zealand, starting here Wednesday.
Coming on the heels of the domination of the Twenty20 and one-day series, Sammy said the Windies were confident of continuing their winning trend, CMC reports.
“Everything we do is geared towards winning. We did it in the Twenty20s and the ODIs, and we’re looking to do the same thing in the Test series,” Sammy told reporters here.
“The two teams are evenly matched… both teams will be playing to win and we will do everything to achieve that (a win).”
“We’re going to be competitive out there and win the key sessions like we did in the one-day series and look to win in the Test matches.”
The West Indies swept the T20 doubleheader in Florida before winning the five-match one-day series by a 4-1 margin.
While he noted that these results had given West Indies a lift ahead of the series, he was quick to point out that Test cricket would require a different approach.
“The guys played well but it’s a different format and Test cricket requires a lot of patience and focus and that’s what we have to go out there and do.”
Sammy added: “There are some guys coming back like Chris (Gayle) who have not played for a long time. Our opening position has been a spot of bother for us but with the experience back there hopefully we could see off the new ball and put a good total. We back our bowlers to come back and defend it and get 20 wickets for us.”
The West Indies have not won a Test series against a top eight ICC side since they beat England 1-0 in a five-match series in the Caribbean three years ago.
Only this year, they went down 0-2 to Australia in a three-Test series despite challenging the visitors in every game.
- Sammy plays down idea of second frontline spinner - Jul 25, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
- Sammy says team work key in absence of big names - May 04, 2012
- Sammy hopes to continue good record at Arnos Vale - Mar 15, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sammy says Windies must back up 'favourites' tag - Sep 02, 2012
- Sammy warns Windies will be just as dangerous in Tests - Apr 01, 2012
- Gayle hoping to give home fans special treat - Jul 05, 2012
- No need to push panic button, cautions skipper Sammy - Jul 12, 2012
- Adams backs Sammy as Windies skipper - May 10, 2012
- Narine delighted with form in wake of England slump - Jul 03, 2012
- Rain ends Windies hopes of redemption as 3rd ODI abandoned - Jun 23, 2012
- Windies gunning for whitewash, says Russell - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,