Sammy hails return of Gayle for ODIsJune 7th, 2012 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Birmingham, June 7 (IANS/CMC) West Indies captain Darren Sammy believes Chris Gayle’s return will augur well for this side’s fortunes in the upcoming three-match One-Day International series against England.
Gayle Monday was included in a 15-man squad, bringing to an end a 14-month squabble with the West Indies Cricket Board stemming from a controversial interview he gave to a Jamaican radio station following last year’s World Cup.
Sammy, who took over the helm of the squad from Gayle in late 2010, said he expected Gayle to fit back into the squad without any problems.
“He’s a professional and I think he’ll do what’s necessary for the team,” Sammy told reporters here Wednesday.
“At the end of the day, his contributions out there on the cricket field - we all know what he can do - that will be the most valuable thing for us.”
Gayle is one of the most feared batsmen in world cricket, already scoring 8087 runs in 228 ODIs, with 19 centuries an average of nearly 40.
The explosive opener is expected to arrive Saturday and Sammy expects to have his first chat with the Jamaican thereafter.
I haven’t (spoken to Gayle) but they (ODI squad) are coming in on Saturday morning so we’ll have enough time to talk,” Sammy said.
Gayle forms part of what appears a strong ODI squad with powerful all-rounders Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo also included.
The West Indies have also recalled opener Lendl Simmons following his recovery from injury and have handed all-rounder Dwayne Smith his first ODI cap in two years.
The squad will be further boosted by batsman Darren Bravo, fast bowlers Fidel Edwards and Tino Best, along with mystery off-spinner Sunil Narine, who are all already in England.
“Looking at that one-day team I am very excited but we have a Test match here we have to get over first and then after this the one-day stuff starts,” Sammy said.
The one-day series runs from June 16-24.
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Gayle leaps to fourth in T20 rankings - Jul 03, 2012
- Gayle brings quality to the side, says chief selector - Jun 06, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Gibson, Sammy welcome Gayle's return - May 04, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Injured Darren Bravo out of tour, returning home - Jun 19, 2012
- Chris Gayle not considered for 3rd ODI against India - Jun 10, 2011
- Windies sweating on Bravo, Russell for second ODI - Jun 18, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: chris gayle, cmc, controversial interview, cricket field, dwayne bravo, fidel edwards, jamaican radio, man squad, narine, odi squad, odis, pollard, rounder, rounders, sammy, squabble, test match, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, world cricket