Saina’s Indonesia triumph among the best in Indian sport: GopichandJune 21st, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Saina Nehwal has put her name alongside the greatest of Indian sportspersons after her triumph in the Indonesia Super Series Sunday, feels her coach and former All England champion Pullela Gopichand.
“She has achieved something remarkable for Indian badminton,” an elated Gopichand told IANS from Hyderabad.
Saina beat China’s Lin Wang 12-21, 21-18, 21-9 to win her maiden Super Series title Sunday.
Asked to compare Saina’s victory with his and Prakash Padukone’s All England titles, Gopichand said it was certainly up there among the top.
“Saina’s achievement is huge lift not just for badminton but for Indian sport. The tournament might not be in the branding of All-England or world championships, but in terms of quality it is as good as any top level tournament.
“The fact that she has been able to win in a field with eight of the world’s top 10 player competing says it all,” he said.
“She might not know the importance of this victory now. It does not matter how her international career unfold from here, but going by what she has achieved at such a young age she has already left her mark in Indian sport.”
“She has been consistent in beating top players regularly and her level has gone up.”
Gopichand said that the title will be a huge boost for Saina before the World Championships in Hyderabad in August.
- Getting the hang of Chinese at the right time: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
- Saina rates Hong Kong win one of her best - Dec 14, 2010
- Saina's win is amazing, says Gopichand - Jun 27, 2010
- Saina's victory phenomenal: Gopichand (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- I want to be World No.1 shuttler, says Hyderabadi Sindhu (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Saina will be strong favourite for Indian Open - Apr 07, 2011
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina favourite to win Indonesia Super Series - Jun 21, 2010
- Saina carrying India's hopes at World Badminton in London - Aug 07, 2011
- Gopichand pins faith on new bunch of youngsters - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina wins Indonesian Open, hat-trick of titles (Intro Roundup) - Jun 27, 2010
- Saina confident of extending unbeaten run at Worlds - Jul 13, 2010
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Saina cautiously optimistic about chances in Indian Open - Jun 07, 2010
- Saina to take on Chinese dominance at World Badminton - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: all england, badminton, china, coach, england champion, england titles, gopichand, indian sport, indonesia, international career, june 21, lin wang, New Delhi, prakash padukone, saina, triumph, victory, world championships