Saina to spearhead Indian challenge at All England OpenMarch 2nd, 2009 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) India’s top woman shuttler Saina Nehwal will be back in action Tuesday at the Yonex All England Open Super Series badminton after recovering from a shoulder injury.
The 19-year-old Saina was advised two weeks of rest by physio Heath Matthews and had to miss the nationals last month.
And now the world No.10 finds herself in a tough opener against fourth-seed Frenchwoman Hongyan PI, who finished runner up at Korea Super Series and was semi-finalist at Malaysia Super Series last month. Saina, on the other hand, made an early exit in Korea but made the quarters in Malaysia.
In the men’s section, world No.13 Chetan Anand and Arvind Bhat will lead the Indian challenge.
A quarter-final appearance at the Yonex German Open last week will give Anand the much needed boost after recovering from a thigh injury that also forced him to miss the nationals. In the first round, Anand will face Andrew Smith of England while Pawar will meet Englishman Carl Baxter.
In the women’s doubles, Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian will face Malaysians Pek Siah Lim and Chiou Hwee Hawin.
- Saina goes down fighting in Indonesia final (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- All England Championships: Saina sails into quarters - Mar 09, 2012
- Singapore Super Series: Saina starts her campaign against Lu Lan - Jun 14, 2011
- Varma, Pawar lose in Korea Open Superseries qualifier - Jan 03, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina best bet for a medal - Jul 27, 2012
- Saina looking for a good finish in Indian Open - Mar 23, 2009
- Saina seeded second at Malaysian Open - Jun 23, 2009
- Saina to take on Chinese dominance at World Badminton - Aug 24, 2010
- Lok Sabha congratulates Saina Nehwal - Dec 13, 2010
- Top stars skip Indian Open badminton - Jun 05, 2010
- Saina in final of Swiss Open Grand Prix - Mar 19, 2011
- Tata Open badminton goes international - Dec 14, 2010
- Arif sure of Saina bagging Olympics medal - Jul 08, 2012
- Saina will be strong favourite for Indian Open - Apr 07, 2011
- Saina top seed in India Super Series badminton - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: andrew smith, arvind, bhat, chetan anand, chiou, early exit, englishman, german open, gutta, hawin, indian challenge, jwala, kurian, pawar, physio, semi finalist, shoulder injury, shruti, thigh injury, yonex all england