Saina steady at fourth, Sourabh jumps 45 places in world rankingMay 5th, 2011 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal remained steady at fourth place in the women’s singles ranking while Sourabh Verma, who stunned some top players to reach the quarterfinal of the India Open Super Series badminton, leapfrogged 45 places to 173 in the men’s singles.
Saina, who was the top seed in the India Open, was upset in the first round. The next Indian women player Aditi Mutatkar figures way down at 78 after climbing four spots.
Sourabh, a qualifier, upset Athens Olympics bronze medallist Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia and followed it up with another stunning win over World No. 25 Kenichi Tago of Japan.
Parupalli Kasyhap is the top Indian in the men’s singles ranking at 26. Anand Pawar is ranked 42nd and Ajay Jayram 33.
Guru Sai Dutt lost two positions to be at 54.
Anup Sridhar climbed 16 places to 106 while Arvind Bhat was down three rungs to 46. Chetan Anand slid 23 spots to take 90th place.
In women’s doubles, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa’s ranking suffered owing to their second round exit from the Indian Open as they lost six spots and are at 26th position.
Gutta and V. Diju, who could not participate in the home tournament due to latter’s injury, tumbled 12 rungs to be at 33rd place in mixed doubles.
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Gurusai Datt pulls off second upset of day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Four Indians in quarters of China Masters - Sep 13, 2012
- Saina soars to No.2 in world badminton (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh continues his giant-killing spree - Apr 28, 2011
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina best bet for a medal - Jul 27, 2012
- Sourabh, a badminton star in the making - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian badminton team for CWG announced - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: ajay, arvind, ashwini, athens olympics, bhat, bronze medallist, chetan anand, dwi, gutta, indian women, jwala, kenichi, mixed doubles, pawar, quarterfinal, rungs, saina nehwal, sony dwi kuncoro, sridhar, tago