Saina pockets Thailand Open titleJune 10th, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, June 10 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal waged a tough battle against local hope Ratchanok Inthanon to win the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold badminton event here Sunday.
The world No.5 shrugged off a slow start to beat 11th-ranked Inthanon 19-21, 21-15, 21-10. It was Saina’s second title of the year after the Swiss Open in March.
The Indian was the lone top-10 player in the tournament but the win could only give her confidence going into the London Olympics next month.
Saina trailed 9-15 in the first game and unlike her semifinal against another Thai Porntip Buranaprasertsuk, she could not cut the deficit.
She changed gears in the second game, racing to a 8-2 lead and winning it comfortably. The Hyderbadi controlled to the decider from point one to seal the victory.
It was her play close to the net that made the difference in the outcome of the match. She earned almost half of her points through net winners in the 1 hour 5 minute contest.
Saina said it was good to win the tournament before the Indonesian Superseries event next week.
“It (the win) was not easy as I was involved in a lot of tough matches. Now the focus is to do well in Indonesia. All the top Chinese players would be taking part so the competition will be a lot tougher than here,” said Saina.
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Saina in Thailand Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Indian shuttlers disappoint at Japan Open - Sep 20, 2011
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina moves to elimination round of Super Series Finals - Dec 15, 2011
- Saina in semis of Thailand Open - Jun 08, 2012
- India Open: Sourabh, Sai Dutt lose in quarters to end home challenge - Apr 29, 2011
- India Open badminton: Saina knocked out in prequarters (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Saina loses to Jiang Yanjiao in Korea Open quarters - Jan 06, 2012
- Spirited Saina goes down to Wang Yihan in World Superseries Finals (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Saina pulls out of Syed Modi GP, Jayaram knocked out - Dec 21, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: badminton, bangkok, chinese players, confidence, decider, first game, gears, grand prix, India, indonesia, london olympics, match, olympics, pockets, porntip, saina nehwal, second game, superseries, tough battle, victory