Saina Nehwal in semifinal of Indonesia OpenJune 24th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal moved into the semifinal of the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton with a 21-19, 21-19 victory over Tine Baun of Denmark in Jakarta, Friday.
Saina, seeded fourth, scored her first victory over Baun after two defeats.
The defending champion will next play unseeded Shao Chieh Cheng of Chinese Taipei, who got the better of China’s Xin Liu 21-17, 21-15. Saina will get a chance to avenge her last week’s second round loss to Chieh Cheng in the Sinagpore Open where she went down in three games.
Saina is aiming for a hat-trick of titles in Indonesia.
In the other semifinal, China’s Yihan Wang, seeded third, will take on compatriot Yanjiao Jiang, seeded sixth.
Saina was leading 6-3 in the first game before Baun surged ahead reeling off seven straight points. Saina worked her way up and levelled at 12-12. It was then a close battle, but Saina took four points from 17-18 to win the first game.
In the second game, Saina took the initial lead and Baun followed her. Saina led 12-7, but Baun closed the gap. The Indian stepped up her game and established a 17-13 lead. Baun again fought her way to equalise, but Saina nosed ahead in the last stretch to seal the issue in 37 minutes.
- Saina reaches final of Indonesia Open Super Series - Jun 25, 2011
- Saina goes down fighting in Indonesia final (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Saina strolls into quarterfinals of Malaysian Super Series - Jan 12, 2012
- Super Series Finals: Saina beats Xin Wang, tops Group B - Dec 16, 2011
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Olympics badminton: Saina first Indian to reach semis (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina beats World Champion to enter Malaysia Open semifinal - May 06, 2011
- Saina Nehwal knocked out of Singapore Open - Jun 16, 2011
- Saina reaches final, will attempt hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Saina fights her way into Malaysian Open semis - Jan 13, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Saina, Jwala-Diju in world badminton quarters - Aug 26, 2010
- Spirited Saina goes down to Wang Yihan in World Superseries Finals (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: badminton, baun, chinese taipei, compatriot, defending champion, denmark, first game, first victory, four points, gap, hat trick, indonesia, jakarta, june 24, New Delhi, saina nehwal, second game, straight points, three games, xin liu