Saina moves to elimination round of Super Series FinalsDecember 15th, 2011 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Saina Nehwal moved into the elimination round at the season-ending Li Ning BWF World Superseries Finals with a 21-16, 21-13 victory over Sayaka Sato of Japan in Liuzhou, China.
She had beaten Youn Joo Bae of South Korea in her first Group B match Thursday.
Saina will take on World No.3 Xin Wang in Friday’s encounter that will decide the Group B topper.
Saina has been going through a rough patch and has won only one tournament Swiss Grand Prix Gold this year.
In the men’s section, Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei is also on the verge of sealing his semi-final ticket.
World No.1 Chong Wei, who has won all three previous Superseries Finals men’s singles crown, notched his second consecutive victory in Group A when he thrashed Indonesia’s Simon Santoso 21-10, 21-15.
Chong Wei will qualify for the semi-finals if Denmark’s Peter Gade defeats Japanese hotshot Sho Sasaki later Thursday. If that happens, then Chong Wei’s encounter with Gade Friday will decide who tops the group.
Topping the group will be important as it could mean avoiding four-time world champion Lin Dan, who is the hot favourite to win Group B, in the semi-finals.
- Gade in India Open Super Series final - Apr 30, 2011
- Chong Wei-Peter Gade final at India Open Super series (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth qualifies from main draw in Japan - Sep 18, 2012
- India Open: Sourabh, Sai Dutt lose in quarters to end home challenge - Apr 29, 2011
- Super Series Finals: Saina to face Yihan Wang in title clash - Dec 17, 2011
- Super Series Finals: Saina beats Xin Wang, tops Group B - Dec 16, 2011
- Well done Saina: Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina reaches final, will attempt hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Lin Dan suffers season's third loss at China Masters - Sep 17, 2011
- Saina beats world champion Lu Lan to make Singapore Open final - Jun 19, 2010
- Saina in semi-finals of Indonesian Open Super series - Jun 25, 2010
- Pressure will be on Chong Wei: Gade - Apr 30, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Spirited Saina goes down to Wang Yihan in World Superseries Finals (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: bae, bwf, consecutive victory, lee chong wei, li ning, lin dan, liuzhou china, peter gade, rough patch, saina nehwal, sasaki, sato, semi finals, simon santoso, south korea, swiss grand, ticket world, time world champion, verge, xin wang