Saina loses to Xin Wang in Malaysian Open Grand Prix final (Lead)May 8th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal went down to China’s Xin Wang 21-13, 8-21, 14-21 in the women’s singles final of the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold at Alor Setar
Top seeded and World No.4 Saina gave a tough challenge to second seeded and World No. 3 Xin but lost in 48 minutes.
It was the third time that Xin, the Guangzhou Asian Games gold medal winner, got the better of the Indian and all her three wins came in Malaysia.
Saina, who had a disappointing first round exit in the India Open Super Series last week, gave a strong performance and beat World Champion Lin Wang in the quarterfinal.
Saina opened a 7-3 lead in the first game and pressed home the advantage.
Xin came back strongly in the second game and reeled off seven points from 9-7 to take it beyond Saina.
The decider was fiercely contested with both players breathing down on each other’s necks. Xin had the initial advantage when she led 5-2 and then consolidated it to 12-8, but Saina crawled back in the match. The Indian drew level at 13-13, before Xin stepped up and logged seven straight points from 14-14 to win the title.
- Saina beats World Champion to enter Malaysia Open semifinal - May 06, 2011
- Saina in Malaysian Open final - May 07, 2011
- India lose to China in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 26, 2011
- Saina in Thailand Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Olympic badminton: World No.1 Wang Yihan too good for Saina (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quarters - Jun 09, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- Saina in final of Hong Kong Open - Dec 11, 2010
- Saina crashes out of World Badminton quarters (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: alor setar, asian games, china, decider, first game, games gold, gold medal winner, grand prix, India, initial advantage, lin wang, match, New Delhi, saina nehwal, second game, seven points, straight points, third time, world champion