Saina looking for a good finish in Indian OpenMarch 23rd, 2009 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 23 (IANS) Indian badminton sensation Saina Nehwal is upbeat about her chances in the star-studded Yonex Sunrise Indian Open Gold tournament starting here Tuesday.
Saina has been in prime form since last year and cracked the World No.10 with some fine performances.
A shoulder injury which she carried for sometime aggravated in the Korean Super Series and put her out of the national championship in February.
Saina made a comeback in the All England Open this month but lost in the first round. She then reached the quarterfinal of the Swiss Open where she lost to World No. 3 Lu Lan.
“I am high on confidence because I have performed well last year and my ranking has gone up. In previous edition of Indian Open I was World No. 33 but this time I am ranked No.9 so the expectation is really high,” Saina told IANS.
Saina said she has fully recovered from the shoulder injury.
“I worked with Heath Matthews (physiotherapist) and he has been very supportive. It has helped me recover quickly.”
Saina will take on Malaysian Chew Yen Daphne in the first round and could meet fifth seed Julia Xian Wong in the third.
“I have been playing the top players frequently now. So I know their game, but it is tough because they can always surprise you.”
There will be a strong Indian presence in the tournament. Nine Indian girls will play in singles while the men’s draw will have as many as 22 Indian players including Chetan Anand, Anup Sridhar and Arvind Bhat.
The tournament has attracted top international players with Malaysian World No.1 Chong Wei Lee the top seed in men’s singles. France’s Pi Hongyan, who beat Saina in All England Open, is the top seed in women’s draw.
“Some of the top players in the world are competing. Indian badminton is looking up with many players making their mark at international level. The tournament will go a long way in making the game popular in India.”
- All England Championships: Saina sails into quarters - Mar 09, 2012
- Singapore Super Series: Saina starts her campaign against Lu Lan - Jun 14, 2011
- Saina carrying India's hopes at World Badminton in London - Aug 07, 2011
- From Melbourne to Delhi, Saina's eventful journey (Profile) - Oct 14, 2010
- Saina favourite to win Indonesia Super Series - Jun 21, 2010
- Saina will be strong favourite for Indian Open - Apr 07, 2011
- Saina top seed in India Super Series badminton - Apr 09, 2011
- Saina to take on Chinese dominance at World Badminton - Aug 24, 2010
- Saina wins Indian Open Grand Prix - Jun 13, 2010
- World No. 1 Lee knocked out of Indian Open - Mar 25, 2009
- Olympic: Saina starts her campaign Sunday - Jul 28, 2012
- Tata Open badminton goes international - Dec 14, 2010
- India Open: Time Indian badminton stars performed at home - Jun 07, 2010
- Top stars skip Indian Open badminton - Jun 05, 2010
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: anup sridhar, arvind, badminton, bhat, chetan anand, daphne, expectation, fifth seed, gold tournament, hyderabad, indian girls, indian presence, national championship, physiotherapist, pi hongyan, quarterfinal, shoulder injury, wei lee, xian, yen