Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead)January 5th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) India’s ace shuttler Saina Nehwal advanced Thursday to the women’s singles quarterfinals of the Korea Open Superseries badminton in Seoul defeating Chinese Taipei’s Shao Chieh Cheng in the second round. In the mixed doubles event, Jwala Gutta and V. Diju also made it to the last eight.
World No.4 Saina, just like her first round match, won 21-14, 21-10 against her 11th-ranked opponent. The Indian played a solid first game and raced to a 14-4 lead. It was 7-7 in the second but Saina took the next four points and never allowed Chieh Cheng to come back from there on.
Saina meets China’s Jiang Yanjiao in the quarterfinals Friday. Jiang beat Inthanon Ratchanok of Thailand 21-16, 21-15.
In the mixed doubles, Jwala and Diju overcame a tough battle against South Korea’s Sung Hyun Ko and Hye Won Eom to win 21-7, 10-21, 21-16. They play the Danish pair of Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen in the quarters.
Jwala and Ashwini Ponnappa, however, suffered a 10-21, 17-21 loss at the hands of top seeded Chinese pair of Xiaoli Wang and Yang Yu in the women’s doubles second round.
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Saina loses to Jiang Yanjiao in Korea Open quarters - Jan 06, 2012
- Saina eases into second round of Korea Open Superseries - Jan 04, 2012
- Saina reaches final of Indonesia Open Super Series - Jun 25, 2011
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Saina crashes out of Denmark Open - Oct 20, 2011
- Gutta, Ponnappa in quarterfinals of China Open - Nov 24, 2011
- Saina Nehwal knocked out of Singapore Open - Jun 16, 2011
- Saina in quarterfinals of World Badminton championships - Aug 12, 2011
- Saina in third round of World Badminton - Aug 10, 2011
- Saina enters quarters of Japan Open - Sep 23, 2011
- Chen Long, Wang Yihan win singles titles at Japan Open - Sep 25, 2011
- Saina, Jayaram in third round of world badminton (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- Saina Nehwal in semifinal of Indonesia Open - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: ashwini, chinese taipei, christinna, first game, four points, gutta, joachim, jwala, mixed doubles, New Delhi, pedersen, ranked opponent, saina nehwal, seoul, south korea, sung hyun, superseries badminton, tough battle, xiaoli, yang yu