Saina in semis of Thailand OpenJune 8th, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, June 8 (IANS) India’s badminton star Saina Nehwal Friday sailed into the women’s semi-finals of the Thailand Open Grand Prix here with a straight games victory over Thai Sapsiree Taerattanachai.
Saina, who is the top seed in this year’s tournament, beat her eighth-seeded opponent 21-10, 22-20 in just 42 minutes. She will next play the winner of the match between Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara and third seeded Porntip Buranaprasertsuk of Thailand Saturday.
The Indian started on the front foot, taking eight straight points to open up an 8-0 lead. She then dominated the rest of the game not giving the Thai shuttler any chance.
Taerattanachai, to her credit, fought back fiercely in the second game, winning six consecutive points and holding a narrow lead over the Indian. But then Saina slowly narrowed the gap and, with the game hanging in the balance at 19-19, the top seed won three straight points to book her seat in the semis.
The world No.5 remains in contention to win her second title of the season after defending her title at the Swiss Open Grand Prix in March in Basel, early this year.
- Saina in Thailand Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Saina pockets Thailand Open title - Jun 10, 2012
- Saina in quarters of Thailand Open - Jun 07, 2012
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Saina in final of Swiss Open Grand Prix - Mar 19, 2011
- Saina goes down fighting in Indonesia final (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Saina pleased with her play in crunch situations - Jun 17, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- I want to be World No.1 shuttler, says Hyderabadi Sindhu (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Saina in semi-finals of Indonesian Open Super series - Jun 25, 2010
- Saina in final of Indonesian Open Super series - Jun 26, 2010
- All England Championships: Saina enters second round - Mar 07, 2012
- Singapore Super Series: Saina starts her campaign against Lu Lan - Jun 14, 2011
- Saina wins third Indonesia Open title (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Saina scrapes past Xuerui to win third Indonesia Open crown (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: badminton, bangkok, basel, consecutive points, contention, gap, grand prix, hanging in the balance, match, narrow lead, nozomi, okuhara, opponent, saina nehwal, second game, semi finals, semis, straight games, straight points, victory