Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand PrixMay 4th, 2011 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 4 (IANS) India’s Saina Nehwal defeated Jiayuan Chen of Singapore 21-16, 21-12 to move into the second round of the women’s singles event in the Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold at Alor Setar Wednesday.
Top seeded Saina, who was upset in the first round of India Open Super Series last week, will take on Japan’s Ayane Kurihara in the second round, according to reports received here.
Saina is the only Indian left in the tournament as other contenders in men’s singles fell by the wayside.
Parupalli Kashyap, seeded 12th, defeated Malaysian Chong Chieh Lok 22-20, 21-7 in the first round, but then lost to Brice Leverdez of France 21-17, 15-21, 18-21.
Arvind Bhat and Anup Sridhar also lost in the second round.
Bhat defeated Hong Kong’s Yun Lung Kuan 21-14, 21-19 before losing to Japan’s Sho Sasaki 21-13, 20-22, 15-21.
Sridhar got the better of eighth seed Malaysian Choong Hann Wong 21-15, 21-15, but went down to Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro 18-21, 7-21 in the second round.
Guru Sai Dutt, who made it to the quarterfinals of the India Open Super Series, gave a tough challenge to Beryno Jiann Tze Wong France before losing 21-19, 21-23, 18-21.
Anand Pawar lost to third seed Tien Minh Nguyen 21-10, 7-21, 16-21.
Ajay Jayram went down to South Korean Hyun Il Lee, seeded ninth.
- Kashyap, Mutatkar reach Austrian Challenge quarters - Feb 24, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quarters - Sep 15, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Hong Kong Open: Saina, Bhat, Gurusai Dutt in second round - Nov 16, 2011
- Indian shuttlers disappoint at Japan Open - Sep 20, 2011
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth qualifies from main draw in Japan - Sep 18, 2012
- Jwala-Diju enter mixed doubles quarters at Singapore - Jun 21, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,