Saina in second round, Jayram and Bhat in third roundJune 24th, 2009 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Saina Newhal cruised into the second round of Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold with a 21-18, 22-20 win over Porntip Buranaprasertsuk of Thailand at Johar Bharu Monday.
In the men’s singles, Ajay Jayram played brillinatly to knock out two Malaysian players and move into the third round. Ninth seed Arvind Bhat also made it to the third round, but four other Indians bowed out on the first day.
Second seeded Saina, who entered the tournament after her Indonesia Super Series victory last week, had her task cut out against World No.39 Buranaprasertsuk as she was stretched in both the games.
World No.8 Saina will now meet another Thai, Ratchanok Intanon, in the sceond round.
Another Indian in the women’s singles draw, Aditi Mutatkar, retired 11-21, 4-11 against Mingtian Fu of Singapore.
Unseeded Jayaram gave enough display of his potantial when he first crushed Chong Cheih Lok 21-16, 21-8 and then got the better of Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin 21-13, 24-22. He will next face Yun Hu of Hong Kong.
Zainuddin had taken out third seed Chetan Anand 16-21, 21-18, 17-21 in the first round.
Bhat defeated Sune Gavnholt of Denmark 21-16, 16-21, 21-16 in the first round before prevailing in another gruelling battle Yongzhao Ashton Chen of Singapore 21-18, 17-21 21-15. He will net meet Long Chen of China.
Anand Pawar went down fighting to Chinese Wei Feing Chong 14-21, 21-11, 21-15
Anup sridhar, 16th, lost to Japanese Koichi Saeki 21-17, 11-21, 17-21
Parupalli Kashyap cleared the first round against Japanese Kazuteru Kozai 21-13, 14-21, 21-11 but fell to Malaysian Chin Seang Tan 20-22, 11-21 in the second round.
- Hong Kong Open: Saina, Bhat, Gurusai Dutt in second round - Nov 16, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Saina, Jayaram in third round of world badminton (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina in third round of World Badminton - Aug 10, 2011
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- World Badminton: Saina, Jayaram advance, Kashyap out (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2011
- Saina, Chetan sail into third round on a day of upsets - Jun 09, 2010
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- India Open: Sourabh, Sai Dutt lose in quarters to end home challenge - Apr 29, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Saina out of Asian Championship, Indian campaign over - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: arvind, ashton, bhat, chetan anand, games world, grand prix, indians, iskandar zulkarnain, jayaram, johar, june 24, kashyap, koichi, lok, New Delhi, pawar, saina, series victory, singapore 21, unseeded