Saina has time to be at her best before Olympics: GopichandDecember 3rd, 2011 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Former All England Champion and current India coach Pullela Gopichand says Saina Nehwal’s recent slump in form would only help her to get better ahead of the all important Olympics in London next year.
Saina has only a single title to her name in 2011 and it came in the Swiss Open Grand Prix. However, the Indian has been able to maintain her rankings and is fourth in the world at the moment.
Gopichand said that it was good that the slump had come at this time and not closer to the Olympics.
“Good that the dip in form has come now. We still have a lot of time to straighten out all the problems so that she can regain her game that we all know she is capable of playing,” Gopichand said at the launch of his book ‘The World Beneath His Feat’ in the national capital here Saturday.
“We need to make little changes here and there. She does not need much tinkering, she is already a great player.”
The 2001 All England Open winner also commended Saina for her fitness.
“Saina is one of the fittest players in the world,”he said.
Gopichand had no qualms on the fitness of the Indian players, saying they were at par with the Chinese and the Indonesians.
“Indian players do not lack fitness but there some inconsistencies that need to be sorted out. If our players lack anything then its speed, but that will also come with time.”
Pullela also spoke very highly of the new rising stars of Indian Badminton, Parupalli Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram.
“Both of them are top 15 material, Kashyap has a good state of mind but was unlucky this year with some very tough draws.”
Talking about the book a very excited Gopichand said: “The book is about a journey of a boy who loves to play. Hardships and lows that a sports person goes through in his life.”
- Saina would have won anyway: Gopichand - Aug 04, 2012
- My aim is to reach top 15: Kashyap - Aug 29, 2012
- Kashyap smashes his way into Indonesia Open semis (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina-led team arrives in Delhi enroute to London - Jul 23, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Saina, Kashyap storm into semis (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- We should be back with a medal: Gopichand (Interview) - Jul 10, 2012
- Saina carrying India's hopes at World Badminton in London - Aug 07, 2011
- I was lucky to qualify for the Olympics: Kashyap (Interview) - Jul 24, 2012
- Saina will be strong favourite for Indian Open - Apr 07, 2011
- Not going to London to make up numbers: Kashyap - Apr 28, 2012
- Getting the hang of Chinese at the right time: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
- Chinese will be tough to beat at Olympics: Saina Nehwal (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Saina confident of making a mark in Indian Open - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: ajay, badminton, england champion, fitness, gopichand, grand prix, hardships, inconsistencies, journey, kashyap, launch, lows, New Delhi, olympics, open winner, qualms, rising stars, saina nehwal, slump, sports person