Saina enters fourth final at Indonesia Open, Kashyap loses (Roundup)June 16th, 2012 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, June 16 (IANS) Two-time champion Saina Nehwal cruised to the women’s singles final at the Indonesian Open Super Series Premier badminton event here Saturday defeating South Korea’s Ji Hyun Sung here Saturday.
However, Parupalli Kashyap’s impressive run in the tournament ended with a loss to local favourite Simon Santoso in the men’s singles semi-finals.
World No.5 Saina took just 50 minutes to dispose of her opponent 22-20, 21-18 for her fourth straight final here after winning the tournament in 2009 and 2010 and finishing runner-up last year. She faces China’s Xuerui Li in the title match Sunday.
Xuerui beat compatriot and World No.1 Yihan Wang in the other semi-final.
Saina, just like her quarterfinals clash against another Chinese Shixian Wang, survived nervous moments before crossing the hurdle.
She squandered a comfortable 16-9 lead in the first game to let Ji Hyun Sung come back into the contest. The South Korean made it 17-17 before earning a game point on 20-19. Saina, however, was able to arrest her opponent’s momentum by taking the next three points.
Saina was put under pressure in the second game too. Trailing 13-16, she fought back by running through the next five points and closed out the match with a forehand smash.
On the other hand, Kashyap lacked the consistency he possessed in the earlier matches and went down 15-21, 12-21 to the World No.9.
The 26th-ranked Indian would be happy with his maiden last four finish in a Super Series Premier event where he stunned top seed Chen Long and beat another higher-ranked player, Hans-Kristian Vittinghus of Denmark.
Kashyap had raised hopes of another upset going into the semifinals but he could not put up a fight against Santoso, a player he is yet to beat in four meetings.
He had his moments in both the games but unforced errors, especially at the net, let him down.
It was 14-14 in the first game before Santoso gained a 18-14 lead to draw first blood in the match. Besides the lethal smashes and delightful net play, the home crowd cheering for him on every point added to hisa dvantage.
It seemed Kashyap would fight back after taking a 5-1 lead in the second game. But that wasn’t to be as he committed far too many errors at the net and failed to defend Santoso’s powerful smashes on most occasions.
- Saina in Indonesia Open final, Kashyap loses (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Kashyap's impressive run in Indonesia Open ends (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Saina, Kashyap storm into semis (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Kashyap smashes his way into Indonesia Open semis (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Kashyap enters semis of Indonesia Open - Jun 15, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Li Xuerui beats No.1 Wang for gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: World No.1 Wang Yihan too good for Saina (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina wins third Indonesia Open title (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Saina pleased with her play in crunch situations - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,