Sahara India renews sponsorship deal with Hockey IndiaFebruary 8th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) After severing its ties with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Sahara India Wednesday renewed its sponsorship deal with Hockey India (HI) with a 170 percent hike.
The new sponsorship deal for five years is valued at around Rs.8 crores per year, a substantial hike from the Rs.3 crores per year, and will cover both the men and the women’s team in the senior and junior categories.
The teams will be seen sporting the Sahara logo during the 2012 London Olympic qualifiers to be held here February 18-26.
Sahara India chairman Subrata Roy said hockey, the national sport, deserves support.
“It is our national game and we are proud to be associated with this game and are elated to continue our patronage and support for the game. We will achieve greater laurels and success in the sport of hockey in the coming years and Sahara India Pariwar is committed to the development of sport at all levels,” said Roy in a statement.
Sahara’s association with the Indian hockey team as a national sponsor started in 2003 following the pullout of Castrol, when the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) was running the game in the country. The eight-year contract ended in 2011 and the extended six-month period also ended in January.
Sources told IANS that HI demanded around Rs.14-15 crores but Sahara didn’t agree.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra thanked Sahara for its support.
“I thank Sahara India Pariwar, especially Mr.Subrata Roy, who is the greatest patron of sports, for coming forward and supporting the sport of Hockey. I am sure this association would encourage all the players to perform even better in the forthcoming international tournaments,” he said.
Sahara decision to sponsor Indian hockey comes in the wake of its pullout both as the chief BCCI sponsor after 11 years and as the owner of Pune Warriors franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Sahara’s sponsorship of hockey is a part the group’s programme to promote sports at the ground level. In addition, Sahara will also support boxing, wrestling, archery, shooting, track and field and tennis.
- Sahara to renew sponsorship of Indian hockey - Feb 07, 2012
- Sahara pick up Lucknow franchise of HI League - Jul 23, 2012
- Sahara India announce cash award for hockey team - Feb 28, 2012
- Sahara India to award Rs.1.29 crore for hockey team (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sahara India to sponsor Indian volleyball - Apr 16, 2012
- Sahara hits back after BCCI rejcts its demands (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- BCCI gives in, Sahara India back as Team India sponsor (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- BCCI softens stand on Sahara pull-out, ready for talks - Feb 06, 2012
- BCCI to clear issues with Sahara through dialogue (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2012
- No one ready to pay full sponsorship of Team India: Sahara - Feb 13, 2012
- BCCI chief wants to reconcile with Sahara India (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Sahara not to aid sports federations for London Games failure - Aug 13, 2012
- BCCI ropes in ex-president Manohar to solve Sahara crisis - Feb 14, 2012
- Positive outcome on Sahara by this week: IPL chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Open for talks on IPL but no sponsorship deal: Subroto Roy - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: batra, castrol, crores, hockey team, ihf, india bcci, indian hockey federation, ipl, junior categories, laurels, narinder, national game, national sponsor, national sport, patronage, pullout, rs 8, sahara india pariwar, sponsorship deal, subrata roy