Safin may become Russian president: SamprasNovember 1st, 2011 - 10:39 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian two-time Grand Slam winner Marat Safin, who has entered politics, has all chances to become the president in the next 20 years, former world No.1 and American tennis player Pete Sampras has said.
A former world No.1, the 31-year-old Safin defeated Sampras at the 2000 US Open. Safin is running for the State Duma, Russia’s lower house of parliament, as a member of the ruling United Russia party from the Nizhny Novgorod region.
“Marat is very intelligent, articulate and well-spoken so I think it’s great that he’s getting involved in government in his homeland,” Sampras was quoted as saying on the Tennis.com website.
Considered one of Russia’s most eligible bachelors, Safin retired as a professional tennis player in November 2009.
“I think he’ll do a great job. He’s good with people and people like him, and that’s half the battle with being a politician. He’s very young and it’s nice to see that he’s got this passion in him.”
“In 20 years, Marat will be the president of Russia! Trust me, this guy is going to go a long way. The guy is an international star and the future president,” Sampras said.
Safin is not the first Russian athlete to take up politics. The United Russia, led by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, already includes prominent sports figures as Olympic champion in figure skating Anton Sikharulidze, Olympic gold winner in gymnastics Alina Kabayeva, Olympic medal winning speed skater Svetlana Zhurova, and world champion boxer Nikolai Valuyev.
- Ammo blast kills six in Russia - May 03, 2012
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- FIFA World Cup delegates visit Samara - Jun 22, 2012
- Russian missile maker Almaz Antei expands - Apr 10, 2012
- Electric shock kills former junior archery champion - Jul 10, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Russia to build world's most powerful laser station - Feb 10, 2012
- Mother throws crying baby from 14th floor - Mar 03, 2012
- Russian woman to be extradited from Spain for trafficking - May 05, 2011
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Sampras and Safin to play exhibition match in China - Sep 29, 2011
- Math teacher in Russia sentenced for verbal abuse - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: american tennis player, anton sikharulidze, champion boxer, eligible bachelors, gold winner, grand slam winner, international star, nikolai valuyev, nizhny novgorod region, olympic champion, olympic gold, olympic medal, pete sampras, president of russia, professional tennis player, ria novosti, speed skater, sports figures, vladimir putin, world champion