Sachin looking forward to carrying Olympic torchApril 7th, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by admin
By Abhishek Roy
New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) India’s cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar said Monday he would be a part of the Beijing Olympic torch relay in the Capital April 17. Tendulkar, however, refused to comment on the controversy surrounding the protests, but said that he was looking forward to carrying the torch.
“It is a great honour for me. I grew up watching the Olympics and I am looking forward to carry the torch,” Tendulkar told IANS.
The Bejing Games, which will be held from Aug 8-24, has run into trouble following China’s crackdown in Tibet. The Tibetans have been protesting for a free nation.
On Sunday, thousands of protesters waving Tibetan flags and shouting “Shame on China” disrupted the London leg of the torch relay.
Tibetans and other human rights groups are planning similar protests in New Delhi on the day of the torch relay next week to voice their anger against China’s Tibetan policy.
Fearing trouble from Tibetan protestors, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has already shortened the route of the Olympic torch relay. The original 8-9 km run from Red Fort to India Gate has been shortened to 2-3 km. Details of the redrawn route are being worked out.
“The government has taken up the issue and I think all security concerns will be taken care of. We are also planning out how to host the relay and I am hopeful that we will carry it out unhindered,” Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi said.
National football captain Bhaichung Bhutia, a Buddhist, has refused to carry the Flame to show his solidarity with the Tibetans.
- Olympic torch will go through Delhi unhindered, Kalmadi hopes - Apr 07, 2008
- Now Kiran Bedi refuses to carry Olympic torch - Apr 09, 2008
- Bhaichung Bhutia: A fairytale journey (Profile) - Aug 24, 2011
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Kalmadi sacked from CWG Organising Committee; remains defiant (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2011
- Torch tensions rise as Tibetan protesters gather, Bedi says no - Apr 09, 2008
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken to ask IOA to elect new chief - Apr 25, 2011
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Kalmadi in no mood to resign as IOA president - Jan 20, 2012
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- Nayeemuddin still sore with Bhutia - Aug 24, 2011
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- IOA welcomes Tendulkar's nomination to Rajya Sabha - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: abhishek, bhaichung bhutia, carrying the torch, crackdown, football captain, free nation, human rights groups, india gate, indian olympic association, ioa president, national football, New Delhi, olympic torch relay, protesters, protestors, sachin tendulkar, security concerns, suresh kalmadi, tibetan flags, tibetans