Sachin has always inspired me: YuvrajApril 11th, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, April 11 (IANS) India’s 2011 World Cup hero Yuvraj Singh said Wednesday that he was touched when batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar paid him a surpirse visit in London, where he was resting after undergoing treatment for a rare germ cell cancer in the US.
“It was great to see him in London. I didn’t want this to come out but media would have known. I was delighted to see him. He has been a legend in Indian cricket, a great guy. It was great motivation for me. It was a great that he came all the way to see me,” said Yuvraj.
Yuvraj said over a period of time he has developed a “cherished friendship” Tendulkar and missed being a part of the legend’s 100th international century.
“I was in touch with Sachin while he was in Australia. I also wanted his 100th hundred. He has always inspired me. I wanted to be part of the team when Sachin got his 200 in ODIs, got his 100th hundred but unfortunately I was not there. I was there in thoughts and congratulated him,” Yuvraj said during his first media interaction here after returning home.
“It’s a very big achievement. It’s just amazing that he has played for so many years. I have developed a cherished friendship with him. Unfortunate that I wasn’t there when he got the 100th hundred,” he said.
Yuvraj also had words of praise for India’s ODI vice-captain Virat Kohli and described him as a “very special kid”.
“He is a very special kid, very talented. I have learnt from him. His focus and work ethic is immense. I feel why I did not have a work ethic like him. In his age, you can be vulnerable but he is very focussed. He is doing phenomenally well, I am really happy for him,” he said.
Yuvraj said the most cherished innings in his career was the 57 against Australia in the semifinal of the World Cup.
“It was a very special innings for me because when I was struggling, I would always visualise that I get the winning runs against Australia. So, that’s why it is so special for me. The runs are not many but are very important,” he said.
- Yuvraj uncertain about future but determined to play again (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Birthday boy Tendulkar releases book on his 100th ton - Apr 24, 2012
- Don't know what the future holds: Yuvraj - Apr 11, 2012
- Tendulkar conferred SCG honorary life membership - Feb 26, 2012
- It would have been selfish to retire after the World Cup high: Sachin - Mar 17, 2012
- Coca Cola to roll out special Tendulkar cans - Jul 18, 2011
- Harbhajan thanks Tendulkar for adding variety to his bowling - Jul 08, 2011
- Sachin's 100th hundred will be a blessing for Tests: Clarke - Jan 02, 2012
- Sports fans across India celebrate Tendulkar's 38th birthday with fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Tendulkar strikes record 100th international century (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Will carry on as long as I enjoy my game: Tendulkar (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Sachin Tendulkar: A diminutive man and colossal cricketer (Profile) - Mar 16, 2012
- Cricket fraternity hails 'Very Very Special' Laxman - Aug 18, 2012
- India look for series win and Tendulkar's 100th ton at Eden (Preview) - Nov 13, 2011
- Hype will make it tough for Tendulkar: West Indies coach - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: australia, cherished friendship, germ cell cancer, India, indian cricket, kohli, london, maestro, media interaction, motivation, odi, period of time, returning home, sachin tendulkar, undergoing treatment, vice captain, words of praise, work ethic, world cup hero, yuvraj singh