Sachin a cricket god: HusseyJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Adelaide, Jan 22 (IANS) Australian batsman Michael Hussey has termed India’s batting great Sachin Tendulkar a “cricket god” ahead of the fourth and final Test beginning at the Adelaide Oval here Tuesday.
Hussey commended the Indian batsman on his ability to handle pressure and perform so well at the highest level for such a long time.
“He is a cricket god and yet how he handles himself in India, in a cricket-mad country, where just to walk on the street means being mobbed by thousands and thousands of people, to handle all this and put it aside and perform for India for over 20 years in international cricket is just amazing,” he told reporters here.
Hussey said that watching Tendulkar bat from close quarters has been a great experience for him, adding that the master blaster has played well in the ongoing series and his elusive 100th hundred is around the corner.
“He has played brilliantly. Watching him closely, his footwork, the time he has and the straight bat, both off the front and backfoot, he is playing really well. If he continues it is inevitable (the hundred).
“That is the way batting goes. Sometimes you are playing well but one ball, one mistake and you are back to the pavilion. I am sure to his own mind he is batting well, his bat is as broad as ever at the moment,” Hussey added.
Hussey said he admires how Tendulkar has approached the game in more than a two-decade old career.
“I don’t know what he is going through mentally. I haven’t scored 99 centuries though I would love to be in that position and feel the pressure. I have admired him how he has gone through his whole career. To score consistently at such a long period of time and deal with external pressures is amazing,” he said.
- Ian Chappell says Lara better than Ponting and Tendulkar - Jan 31, 2012
- Tendulkar's 'three metre wide bat' makes Test cricket tough: Hussey - Oct 19, 2010
- Stage set for Tendulkar to get his 100th century: Ganguly - Jan 25, 2012
- Aussies must follow Ponting to 'leave all stress in locker': Hussey - Jan 02, 2011
- Not satisfied yet with my career, says Tendulkar - Jun 03, 2011
- Sachin Tendulkar: A diminutive man and colossal cricketer (Profile) - Mar 16, 2012
- Will carry on as long as I enjoy my game: Tendulkar (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Hussey ignoring calls to quit Test cricket - Oct 19, 2010
- Hope England nightmare won't be repeated: Dravid - Jan 11, 2012
- Can India end Australia's dominance in World Cup? (Preview) - Mar 23, 2011
- High expectations of Indian fans affecting Sachin: Gibbson - Nov 14, 2011
- Tendulkar says no to politics after RS nomination (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- India have the edge, admits Haddin - Dec 27, 2011
- Cricket icon Sachin, an example of a good person for generations to come - May 01, 2011
- History beckons both India and Australia but spotlight remains on Tendulkar - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: adelaide oval, centuries, close quarters, decade, external pressures, final test, footwork, game, god, India, indian batsman, international cricket, long time, mad country, master blaster, michael hussey, mistake, period of time, sachin tendulkar, straight bat