Ryder officially declared Kiwi’s number one batApril 2nd, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Apr.2 (ANI): Jesse Ryder has been officially declared New Zealand’s number one Test batsman.
According to a Dominion Post report, Ryder’s magnificent 201 in Napier, on the back of his equally controlled century in Hamilton, has catapulted his world ranking to 30 after just eight tests.
Averaging 64 in Test cricket, Ryder yesterday inked a long-term sponsorship deal with Gray Nicolls to add to his lucrative IPL contract.
Batting mentor John Wright will be shuddering at the news that Ryder has been handed a double-sided bat, but the man himself is confident his rising stardom won’t affect him.
“Everything’s going pretty full on at the moment but it’s for a good cause and not a bad cause, for a change,” the 24-year-old said in reference to his battle with the bottle.
Ryder attributes his hot form to support from New Zealand coach Andy Moles and Wright, two level-headed former opening batsmen.
“Andy Moles has been a great support for me, just lets me play my game. John Wright is another one that’s been helping with my batting, he’s always in my ear, `Play straight, play straight’ every ball and that’s what I’ve been trying to focus on while I’ve been batting. It’s been working for me,” he added.
If Ryder can hit another century at the Basin Reserve in the third test starting tomorrow, he will become the first Kiwi to reach the milestone in three successive tests. (ANI)
- Ryder on brink of a milestone - Apr 02, 2009
- Wright-Ryder ties key to Kiwi World Cup preparations - Jan 09, 2011
- Wright is the man with a World Cup plan for the Black caps - Feb 04, 2011
- Ex-New Zealand cricket boss says Wright is the right choice for Black Caps coach - Oct 29, 2009
- IPL is a big party, says Ryder - Jul 01, 2012
- Frustrated over repeated errors, Wright to reshuffle Kiwis batting order - Mar 22, 2011
- Tensions between Buchanan and Wright in New Zealand cricket - Mar 29, 2012
- New Zealand face daunting task against Sri Lanka (Preview) - Mar 28, 2011
- Wright and Vettori to select playing eleven in World Cup - Feb 03, 2011
- Wright, Vettori to pick team during 2011 World Cup - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan eye first Test series win since 2007 as NZ struggle for form - Jan 13, 2011
- McCullum likely to play as top order bat for Kiwis in India tour - Oct 25, 2010
- Kiwis hope to make the Wright impact - Feb 14, 2011
- Patience key word for Kiwi batsmen as well as public: Wright - Jan 11, 2011
- Batting coach Greatbatch says Kiwis 'played like dicks' in Bangladesh - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: basin reserve, coach andy, dominion post, game, gray nicolls, kiwi, mentor, milestone, moles, napier, new zealand, ryder, sponsorship deal, stardom, term sponsorship, test batsman, test cricket, third test, wellington, zealand coach